Need a networking expert advise/help ASAP please

zerotoleranz

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hey everyone!

I haven't been in the forums for a long time, I even forgot my other account username and password haha
Well, I'm a starting IT student and at work my boss uses my little knowledge on IT for everything.
Just a few minutes ago my boss asked me to make a report detailing what is needed (hardware) for receiving 9000Gbps of raw information (I'll explain below), how software that decodes that info work, and what options are available (opensource and free software preferred).
The work they are doing is as follows:
There's a set-top box connected to a TV. That set-top box collects each minute the info of what is being seen on screen and sends it to a server. The set-top box contains two cellphone chips that send the info to the server.
On the server side: Atm almost 500Gbps (maybe per minute since info is collected every one minute) are being received and the software installed in the server analyzes this data and makes a report.

I'm pretty sure I'm not being clear enough, English is not my first language, I know almost nothing of networking and even less at this scale and I'm currently under a lot of stress since I have to send this report in a few hours. Please if you are interested in helping me ask me as many questions as you need.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013

Sorry theres not enough info here? what is this server actually doing? broadcasing TV in some way?
500Gbps is a lot! are you sure you are calculating it right? You wont find a standard interface that goes that fast, or a server that can handle that kind of throughput. You are talking data center the size of google.

What are you basing your calculations on?
Can you describe what the system is actually for?

This sounds pretty unfair to ask of you to be responsible to be honest. Your boss should be hiring a proper consultant. It's not in your job description.

zerotoleranz

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

Hey thanks for the reply man!

Actually my boss really messed things up haha! He was talking about a people meter and analyzing TV as when they measure rating but for other purposes. Things where pretty easy actually, I just have to audit the server, see if they are using outdated tech and if they're capable of receiving and processing the data.
Yeah I know it's unfair but given unemployment, general working conditions in my country and my salary (above average) I don't have a choice but do most they ask me.

And about those 500Gbps... my boss is a tech flinstone XD

Cheers!