GTX 670 SLI crashes games on 1440p

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hi guys, I recently added another 670 to run sli on my rig. I have 2 monitors hooked up, a dell 1440p for gaming/movies/photo editing, and a dell 1200p for web browsing. When I had one 670, i was running bf3, bf4 on ultra on a 1080p monitor, never crashed before (obviously 1080p is less demanding). After I added the second 670, bf3 (and batman arkham origin) would crash randomly, and this would crash my computer as well.

Temperature runs at around 80c~85c during gaming (is it running too hot?), drivers has been updated to the latest, and I even uninstalled nvidia experience as some people suggest that could be the problem; but still, bf3 crashes on me, the worse thing is it crashes computer! Does anyone have a solution? Or suggestions? Anything would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

My Rig:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
GPU:MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PNY VCGGTX670XPB GeForce GTX 670 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX

SSD: Samsung 840pro 256GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

no additional fans, and no oc.

clayofthe757

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Keep in mind that a single powerful GPU seems to always function better than tandem (or more) cards. That may have been your first mistake. If you can do it: sell the two cards and buy a powerful single.

Wanderer11 is on the right track as well. Running two cards demands twice as much from the power supply. There are many sites that will identify (by entry of your components) the minimum power you need. It may not be up to snuff.

Best of luck!

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hi @wanderer11 My PSU is CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W, I think 750w should be enough for 670 sli? I entered my rig on http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and seems like i only need 650w.

@clayofthe757, I'm actually thinking abt selling the two 670 and buy a R9 290 or GTX780...but the mining boom... R9 290 is $100 more expensive than in november and 780 is more expensive as well. I don't want to buy them when they are obviously overpriced.

So I'm looking for a solution to see if I can just fix the SLI problem right now, and wait till the mining boom dies down a little bit to change. But currently it's just so frustrating, my computer/the games keep crashing and it's just agonizing to play... I'm sure you understand as most of you plays games as well...

Again, thanks for any suggestions!

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

hmm, my PSU (CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W) is only about 2-3 years old, I really hope that's not the problem...

Would the SLI bridge be a problem? I'm using an old ASUS SLI bridge from 4 years ago...

Also, games such as league of legends (low requirement games) doesn't crash. So far only bf3, bf4, and batman arkham origins crash.

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

no I have not done that for bf3, however bf4 and batman arkham origin was recently bought and installed (after the sli), those 2 crashes a lot too.

clayofthe757

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

I cannot say (to wanderer11) that all SLI or Crossfire setups don't work out. I've certainly seen them work fine. It is only my experiences and that of my friends and family that demands I say go for one card.
A new installation of the games is certainly a good place to start. Could also be that bridge, that one's not so easy to test unless you have another laying around. Another place to look is the bios. Get the manual for you motherboard and check it for something like: "When running SLI/Crossfire be sure to set _____ PCI (something or other) for x8, or x4, or whathaveyou. In many motherboards the PCI slots share bandwidth and that sharing must be enabled in the bios.

Luck

Good luck.

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

I don't think the mobo PCI slots are the problem, when i bought the mobo, i specifically picked one with 2 PCI x16. but I'll doubt check.

thanks!

chugot9218

Honorable
What version of drivers are you on? Did you have the issue before you updated drivers, i.e. updating them was your first troubleshooting step? I have the same PSU and 2 670's (Gigabyte and Asus though) which are above reference clocks as well, so I don't think it's a power issue.

saltyan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

hi was using the latest driver (not Beta), didn't have sli before so not sure if older drivers will work, but will try when get home tonight.

Does anyone think the sli bridge would be the problem? I mean, no problems when I'm playing low requirement games, but computer crashes when im playing bf3, bf4, and batman. Would a faulty sli bridge cause that?

Thanks guys for the replies!

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Just figured I would put my 2 cents in. I have GTX 670 FTW SLI. Although I currently do not run in 1440p I have had issues with crashing at max settings. When I drop the AA everything got significantly better. Didn't have a crash until this one driver update a few months back I think December 2014. I know it's far off but if OP comes back to this post by chance perhaps you can let us know (if you still have the 670s that is) if you still get the same issue or perhaps I can help you troubleshoot. Having the error codes helps a whole lot too. Be wary of brownouts or power surges too my old power box before it was replaced had some bad fuses as well and the circuit didn't always provide steady power shutting down my system when it drew too much power from the wall.