Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me make up my mind

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 5, 2014 11:37:10 AM

So I have been given an ultimatum and I have to purchase these parts this weekend. I have been flip flopping back and forth on amd and intel.

I plan to do heavy gaming (max settings, 1080p)
Minimal anything else, more or less youtube, the occasional movie, and surfing the web daily. I built an HTPC in the living room for media storage concerns so space on this machine is basically just being used on games.

For either build, I already have an antec 1200 case, and an antec signature series Bronze 850W PSU (both from 2009)

AMD Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($177.72 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1497.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-05 14:28 EST-0500)

Intel Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1497.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-05 14:28 EST-0500)

I am fairly set on the aftermarket 290x unless persuaded to get the 780ti. I am also happy with 8gb memory (open to brand suggestion), I wont be doing any video editing or the like. How much better is the 128gb 840 PRO SSD than the 120gb EVO. Completely lost on monitor selection, I think I found a nice one? If possible, please rate both builds and give your opinion on the better purchase (including anything you would change. My budget is give or take a bit, around $1700 after taxes and shipping, seems to be right around $1500 before on pcpartpicker.

Thank you so much for your time.

More about : make mind

February 5, 2014 11:46:56 AM

I would get in intel build.

The PRO vs. EVO SSD will show so noticeable different between them. Get the EVO, its cheaper.

I would replace your PSU FOR SURE. Even a high end PSU gets old and worn out after 5 years.
February 5, 2014 11:48:31 AM

Id look into a cheap closed loop liquid cooler for your CPU...also i don't know if you have tryed windows 8 or not but its a POS. Windows 7 still rocks and would be my choice( if it were up to me). And the sabertooth 990fx is the board i have for my 8120 and i love it. Couldn't be more happy with it. Only input i've got not much experience with Intel components....
Related resources
February 5, 2014 11:52:22 AM

ldewitt said:
Id look into a cheap closed loop liquid cooler for your CPU...also i don't know if you have tryed windows 8 or not but its a POS. Windows 7 still rocks and would be my choice( if it were up to me). And the sabertooth 990fx is the board i have for my 8120 and i love it. Couldn't be more happy with it. Only input i've got not much experience with Intel components....


Sorry, you are wrong. Basically every single game performs better on windows 8 by a measurable amount. It is lighter and faster in every way.

A closed loop cooler would not really be ideal. It will be LOUD and not cool any better than a good air cooler that will make almost no noise at all. Closed loop coolers really are a fad and are more for saying "I have water cooling" than actually performing better than air coolers.

A Noctua NH-D14 will cool within 1-4 degrees of an h100i and just as well as an h80i, costs only $79 and makes virtually no noise at all.
February 5, 2014 11:53:52 AM

You definitely don't need a water cooler, I can easily get my 4670k to 4.3GHz on air. You could save a little and get a Gigabyte Z87X-HD3 which also has good Crossfire capability and is about $60 cheaper, but that's just an opinion.

Go Intel, you'll be very happy :) 
February 5, 2014 11:57:39 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
You definitely don't need a water cooler, I can easily get my 4670k to 4.3GHz on air. You could save a little and get a Gigabyte Z87X-HD3 which also has good Crossfire capability and is about $60 cheaper, but that's just an opinion.

Go Intel, you'll be very happy :) 


Completely agree about the water cooler thing. I *shy's away* have been using an h60 I got for $17 open box mostly to see what these coolers are like and test longevity and even with two Corsair SP-120 Performance edition fans on it, it doesn't cool any better than my Hyper 212 evo which costs MUCH less than a new h60.
February 5, 2014 12:05:01 PM

tiny voices said:
ldewitt said:
Id look into a cheap closed loop liquid cooler for your CPU...also i don't know if you have tryed windows 8 or not but its a POS. Windows 7 still rocks and would be my choice( if it were up to me). And the sabertooth 990fx is the board i have for my 8120 and i love it. Couldn't be more happy with it. Only input i've got not much experience with Intel components....


Sorry, you are wrong. Basically every single game performs better on windows 8 by a measurable amount. It is lighter and faster in every way.

A closed loop cooler would not really be ideal. It will be LOUD and not cool any better than a good air cooler that will make almost no noise at all. Closed loop coolers really are a fad and are more for saying "I have water cooling" than actually performing better than air coolers.

A Noctua NH-D14 will cool within 1-4 degrees of an h100i and just as well as an h80i, costs only $79 and makes virtually no noise at all.


You sir are infact the wrong one, you will not NOTICE any change in gaming performance using windows 8 over windows 7 and if you believe so your in some fantasy land that all new windows OS that come out rock. Which infact isn't true. Vista sucked. 8 sucks. Give it a generation kind of thing so expect great things from windows "9"

Proof:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-pe...

More:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/24/battlefield_4...

More:
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2042539

As for closed loop being loud you must of seen/heard real low end ones because the one i have, and the ones i've heard are virtually noiseless, can't hear that over the roar that fans make. There isn't really any reason you shouldn't go with a liquid cooler loop.... but don't sit there and say they suck because you probably have never even seen one in person prolly just trolling youtube videos.....to each his own.....
February 5, 2014 12:08:11 PM

The fans are what I am talking about. They have to spin SO much faster than air cooler fans to cool the same. A Noctua NH-D14 spinning full speed will make less than half the noise as an h80i with full speed fans and will cool the same.

I OWN an h60 for benchmarking fans and it doesn't cool any better than a Coolermaster hyper 212 EVO which costs much less. The stock fan is crazy loud. Like the roar you talk about. Like a leaf blower compared to the air coolers I own.

It is a plain fact that a closed loop cooler is MUCH louder than an air cooler simply because the fans have to spin so much faster to push the air through the radiator.
February 5, 2014 12:13:35 PM

tiny voices said:
The fans are what I am talking about. They have to spin SO much faster than air cooler fans to cool the same. A Noctua NH-D14 spinning full speed will make less than half the noise as an h80i with full speed fans and will cool the same.

I OWN an h60 for benchmarking fans and it doesn't cool any better than a Coolermaster hyper 212 EVO which costs much less. The stock fan is crazy loud. Like the roar you talk about. Like a leaf blower compared to the air coolers I own.

It is a plain fact that a closed loop cooler is MUCH louder than an air cooler simply because the fans have to spin so much faster to push the air through the radiator.


Can't say much for the stock pos cpu cooler i got with my 8120 because i didn't use it long enough to put it under load. My antec kuhler 920 doesn't roar unless i manually change it to "Extreme". Otherwise i have a cap of 45c even while gaming and keeping my cpu at 45c it doesn't roar like it does on "extreme" mode. Even under 100% load via prime95 it doesn't roar like that. I guess maybe it depends on what you get. But anyways i'm sure hes set on a fan cooler anyways, just wanted to throw the options out there.
February 5, 2014 12:18:18 PM

A good closed loop cooler with proper fans (SP-120's or Gently Typhoons) will cool well and not be loud, but that is $120 for the cooler and $30-60 for fans when you could get the same performance and noise levels with a $80 air cooler.

Closed loop coolers do their job and look good doing it, but they simply are not worth the money. I'm not trying to say they don't work, just they are are not the best value for money.
February 5, 2014 12:23:57 PM

tiny voices said:


Closed loop coolers do their job and look good doing it, but they simply are not worth the money. I'm not trying to say they don't work, just they are are not the best value for money.


Yeah i'd have to agree the only reason I got mine because it was a christmas present xD
February 5, 2014 12:25:15 PM

ldewitt said:
tiny voices said:


Closed loop coolers do their job and look good doing it, but they simply are not worth the money. I'm not trying to say they don't work, just they are are not the best value for money.


Yeah i'd have to agree the only reason I got mine because it was a christmas present xD


Exactly, I got the H60 I have for $17 returned open box. I RMA'd it and got a brand new one for free. Not bad for $17. I still don't like it but oh well. LOL
February 5, 2014 12:44:30 PM

Is upgrading the PSU a big issue? It has worked flawlessly since 09 when I bought it, and hasn't changed a step since. Am i running a risk continuing to use it, even if there are no signs of failure to this point. I have run a 4870x2 (til 2011) and a 6970x2 (til now). I spent a great deal on it and if I can make it last til I go crossfire next yearish that would be great.
February 5, 2014 12:49:29 PM

Well, it is the most important part of a PC by far. If it were to fail, it could ruin even single other component. I have had this happen. The PSU warranty DOES NOT cover damage it causes to your system.

That PSU has had a good life and served you well. For $65-85 I think it is reasonable to make the invest to protect your system.

You could use it until you get a new one, but there is some risk involved however big or small.
February 5, 2014 1:02:28 PM

Ok, if I upgraded the PSU now for safety, what would you recommend.
February 5, 2014 1:08:46 PM

If you plan to SLI get an Antec, XFX, Corsair (not CX), Seasonic unit of 850w. If not 650w is fine.
February 5, 2014 1:33:18 PM

Might as well add bf4 to that list because its pretty much tits anyways xD.
!