What is the best way of adding another NON GAMING monitor to my 2 existing ones (GeForce GTX 560 Ti)

dakameo

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi all,

Firstly, I've had brilliant help working out my current set up from this forum and it has served me well in ramping up old games to gorgeous standards and also new ones like Warthunder on highest settings which looks very nice. However, I never use multiple screens for gaming - all monitors are different.

I run a small not for profit coaching organisation and 3 screens is a must, but 4 would be best. It's a mission managing databases of students, video editing, class schedules, emails, web designs (Serif not code - memory hungry), large banner designs, 3D plans (low end) simultaneously when everyone wants it all straight away.

Went for:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16.0 GB RAM
64 bit
SSD primary HD
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Windows 7

HP 2009v 20"
1600 x 900 - DVI

DELL ST2410
1920 x 1080 - HDMI

Adding 2 x DELL 1708FPt - DVI

Made the mistake of thinking 3 inputs meant 3 monitors, just read lots posts here along the same lines. I also though 3D vision meant 3 screens.

So question is: how do I add another 2 (at least 1) monitors so that I can scroll across all screens and without breaking the bank. :) A couple of price options would be really great. (I'm in the UK if that makes a difference). Budget is £30 - £50 but I'm happy to push it, if justified.

(If the answer is to add a lower quality card, do I have to make sure any 3D, design or gaming processes are done using the monitors connected to the GTX 560 or does this not matter?)

I think it's something to do with SLI but haven't quite got my head around what that means in practice.

Many thanks in advance.

Solution
If your motherboard has an available PCI-E x16 slot, you can add a second card pretty easily.
For non-gaming use, this doesn't have to be anything fancy. The Geforce GT 610 would be fine.
You choose a higher model card (620/630/640) if these are more readily available, but they won't really give you any advantage.
Keep your primary display on the 560 Ti and this will be used for games.
You won't be using SLI for this purpose.
If your motherboard has an available PCI-E x16 slot, you can add a second card pretty easily.
For non-gaming use, this doesn't have to be anything fancy. The Geforce GT 610 would be fine.
You choose a higher model card (620/630/640) if these are more readily available, but they won't really give you any advantage.
Keep your primary display on the 560 Ti and this will be used for games.
You won't be using SLI for this purpose.

Solution

dakameo

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Right on the £30 mark!

My motherboard is here

Looks like only one PCI- E x16 slot. Am I back to square one?

Thanks again

EDIT: So I have a PCI-E x8 slot. But if I use it, apparently the x16 will function as a x8.

Does this mean I would disable the other two screens/new card when gaming?