Nothing works after changing MOBO

DennisFougner

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Yesterday I decided to give it a go with a new chassi, earlier I had a fulltower so I x-ferred my entire rig into a BitFenix Prodigy chassi.

First thing that went wrong was my RAM, the new motherboard I swapped to (z77e - ITX) only had 2 RAM spots while my old rig used Corsair Vengeance 4x4 (16gb) 1600mhz. Just bad planning on my part really, currently running with only two sticks 4x2 and it seems to work.

My second problem was that after booting into windows I couldn't use mouse or keyboard, I've had that problem before and if I recall correctly it is because I didn't install the USB 3.0 drivers yet to update the USB.

I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and it worked, tried to install drivers from the CD but it for some reason fails, it starts installing, reaches 99/100% and then it just stalls there forever. Tried copying over the files locally, still same problem though.

After giving up on the USB 3.0 drivers i decided to give LAN drivers a go... Same problem, loads fully and then just stalls.

After further research it seems i can't install anything at all, same problem whatever i try to install.

Currently my only way to navigate around is with my PS/2 keyboard.

My theories on the problem:

Theory 1. Windows dislike swapping out the MOBO and therefore went corrupt somehow.

Theory 2. My 4x4 RAM kit doesn't work properly in with just 2 sticks.

If anyone had a simliar problem or have more theories please do help, a reinstall of windows COULD work but it would mean so much work, first i have to backup all the files and then I have to uninstall all games and programs because they are all installed on a separate SSD from the windows installation.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the english, it is not my native language.

Dennis Fougner