Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 CPU Issues...I think

falcon_a9

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hey All,

I have been a silent member for a few years and just today decided I needed to post for the first time.

I have been building a new system and finally got all the parts over my winter break (I'm a freshman in college).

My new system is as follows:

Cooler Master Cosmos II Computer Case
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 LGA 2011 Motherboard
Intel Xeon E5 2687W 8-Core 3.1GHz ES CPU
Corsair H110 CPU Water Cooling System
Avexir 32GB (4x 8GB) 2133MHz Quad-Channel RAM
Seagate Momentous XT 750GB HDD (I had it just laying around)
EVGA 780 Ti Dual-Link SC Graphics Card (03G-P4-2888-KR)
Rosewill 2xRJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Card
Plextor 8x Blu-Ray Read/Write Drive (From an older build)
Corsair RM850 850W Modular PSU

And it doesn't boot
I get the error for a graphics card error from the speaker on the Mobo, however I have put the GPU in other computers and confirmed that it does in fact work so I moved on to what else it could be. I think (THINK) that it might be the fact that I am using an ES version of the CPU that has QAMS stepping. I am not sure what BIOS was shipped on my motherboard and my CPU is only listed as supported for the F4 (latest BIOS from Gigabyte). The only time I got a successful boot I had a friend (The guy across the hall's) GTX 560 Ti instead of my 780 Ti. So back to what I think is going on...I believe that the CPU is only able to see PCIe 2.0x16 Graphics Cards (I also tried a GTX 680 to no avail) with the version of BIOS that I am running on my Mobo. I am not sure if this is even possible (I have never used a ES CPU before), but to me that makes sense. I just want to hear what you all think of this as well as do you know if the Motherboard will support the QAMS stepping if I update it to the F4 BIOS.

I have loved this community and look forward to hearing from all of you about the problem!

Thanks,
falcon_a9

Hope it is bios issue. Note this.

Support IVB-E CPU

(Note) Please update @BIOS to ver.2.33 and be sure to reflash this BIOS through @BIOS ver2.33.
(Note) To Support IVB-E CPU, the Intel driver must be updated in advanced.

And maybe you need V5 bios? Support Xeon E5-2680 V2 CPU
Or maybe not because yo uhave Intel Xeon E5 2687W 8-Core 3.1GHz ES CPU

If your cpu is not working with V4 bios try V5 :)
Hope this helps :) And ask from gigabyte support is GTX 780Ti working with UP4 + Xeon :)
maybe they need to make new bios or something ? I have UD3 and 3930k so no idea how E5 works with UP4.

Did bios show what TDP max your system do have?
My cpu do have 130 and your it is 150? Hope you get build working!

falcon_a9

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

I do not have the V4 or V5 BIOS...on Gigabyte's site it only has listed the F4 BIOS...(even though I know F3T and F3U BIOS's exist). I cannot enter BIOS with my current system, like I said earlier the computer just gives the "BEEP" error for a graphics error and then does nothing (nothing is displayed on the screen either). I will pursue Gigabyte support tomorrow though when I have some free time. Thanks for the support :)

Do you still have access to the GPU that you borrowed that allowed the system to boot? If you do, I would borrow it long enough to update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version. I don't think your boot problem is BIOS related, though. If that was the case, I don't think it would boot regardless of what GPU you have installed.

You have both 8-pin power connectors firmly plugged in when using the GTX 780 Ti, right? Are you using DVI, HDMI, or Display-Port? Did you try multiple outputs on the GPU? The HDMI ports don't work until enabled in the driver on some cards.