Overclocked (~4.2GHz) Intel i5-4670K Cooling and Case opinion

Matboyslim13

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I have nearly bought every component for my new first build and I am looking at opinions on cooling and cases.

Bought
Intel i5-4670K
ASUS Z87 Plus
ASUS GTX 770
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB
WD10EREX 1TB 7200 64MB
Samsung EVO 120GB
Samsung Optical Drive
Corsair RM650

Opinions
I've heard Haswell CPUs can get quite hot, so I'm definitely swinging away from the 212 EVO as I've heard it is not good enough. I've looked at the Noctua DH-14. It is a bit over my budget but if it provide adequate cooling for the CPU then I'm happy to get it. I've heard over clocking and low temperatures is about being lucky!
Are there any other recommended air coolers out there to provide the best cooling/price?

Also, I may purchase the Bitfenix Merc Alpha, as I've heard great reviews and it's at a low price of £33 in the UK. Will it suffice for my setup (space and cooling)?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BitFenix-Merc-Alpha-Tower-Chassis/dp/B005JRICNG

Thanks in advance!

I honestly think the BitFenix Merc Alpha Tower would fit your setup. The EVO is good enough btw and yes, the Noctua DH-14 will also provide adequate cooling for your CPU.

Matboyslim13

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks for both replies. I think I'm going to go for the D14 in case I want to push the CPU that bit further. I'll go with the BitFenix Alpha! I just need to find a copy of Win 7 clean install now. I'm a student in the UK, do you have any suggestions?

Matboyslim13

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I've had a look at the dimensions and I've seen another forum where I guy said his managed to fit but it's quite tight. I have bought the case but not the cooler, so I'll measure up when I fit the Mobo.

Good move on your part to triple check dimensions.
I hope it all works out.
Cheers!