Trouble setting up 3 monitors on Windows 7

Tohst

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hi all.

I've been running two screens for awhile now with no issue. Now that I came into possession of a third, I cannot get Windows 7 to extend my desktop to all 3. My main monitor, a 23.5" 1080p is my center monitor. I have that plugged into my graphics card, a GeForce GT220 via HDMI. Yeah, I know. I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 770 soon.

My second (left) monitor, an old 4:3 Dell is connected to the GT220; the VGA cable is fed into a DVI adapter plugged into my card's port.

My third (right) and most recently acquired monitor, another old 4:3 (an IBM) is connected to the card via VGA with no adapter.

When I go into display settings in windows, it will only allow me to extend my desktop to 2 of the 3 displays. Is this a chipset/driver issue or am I missing something simple?

Thanks.

Solution

"no" to the first part
"right" to the second part

the whole "you need DP for a third monitor" is an AMD idiocy, which nVid has wisely sidestepped on many of their cards (and even some brands of AMD have sidestepped it, realizing how annoying it is for end users)

but for the OP - in the meantime, you might be able to connect one of your monitors to your motherboard (go into BIOS to enable integrated graphics, make it primary). this should let you get by until you get your 770.
The GT220 will support any combination of (2) outputs between VGA, HDMI and DVI. The only way to get the third monitor to work would be if you had an on-board graphics card that allows the on-board graphics to be the primary adapter, and the GT-220 as the secondary. You would then hook one display up to the mobo, and the other 2 to the GT-220.

The best way to accomplish what you are doing is to upgrade the video card....especially if you do any kind of gaming.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

"no" to the first part
"right" to the second part

the whole "you need DP for a third monitor" is an AMD idiocy, which nVid has wisely sidestepped on many of their cards (and even some brands of AMD have sidestepped it, realizing how annoying it is for end users)

but for the OP - in the meantime, you might be able to connect one of your monitors to your motherboard (go into BIOS to enable integrated graphics, make it primary). this should let you get by until you get your 770.

Solution

Tohst

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks a lot guys! Unfortunately my mobo doesn't have an HDMI or VGA port so I guess I will have an extra monitor on my hands until I get a new graphics card.

Thanks. I run two monitors on my 560Ti. Never tried 3, yet. Maybe this is the year since I will also be getting a GTX 760

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

the 560Ti should be able to run 3 since it's spec'd for 3D Surround. DVI DVI HDMI?