Modem to Router and switch for Home server access

sam355

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I have a situation after I switched my internet to TWC .

My modem only has one ethernet port , so I need to use another wireless router and switch to connect 7 devices .

My VOIP phone and network printer have to be connected to the wireless router as connecting them to switch is not working as they need to be assigned an IP address I guess

Here is my connection

TWC modem --> 1st wireless router 4 ports --> 1st - network printer
2nd - voip phone
3rd - Windows media server
4th - extended ethernet cable to living room for
another wireless router to connect to PS3 + PC
Since there is no more extra ports on the 1st router , I am using a switch to extend the connections to other 2 PC's and also switched off the DHCP on the second router in living room that is connected to 4th port on the first router .

But for some reason , any devices connected to the switch are not able to access the other computers on the other routers and network printer even though I can access internet from them .

What am I missing here ?

Only option is to buy another 8 port router to be used as the main one ?

do you have two routers and you configured one as a switch or do you have one router and one switch?

is your living room cable to 1st router pluged into a normal port on the living room switch and not the wan port?

router 1
1>
2>
3>
4> to switch >1

sam355

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

I have one main router to which second router is connected with DHCP off and also a Switch to the first router to connect 2 PC's . The files on the two PC's on the switch are not accessible from the PC or the PS4 connected to the Second router .

from http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/a/how-to-connect-two-routers-on-a-home-network.htm

"Configuring a Second Router Without Subnetwork Support
To set up a new router as a network switch, plug an Ethernet cable into any free port of the second router other than the uplink port and connect it to any port of the first router other than the uplink port.
To set up a new wireless router as an access point, configure the device for either bridge or repeater mode linked to the first router. Consult the second router's documentation for the specific settings to use.

For both wired and wireless routers, update the IP configuration:
• check the second router's local IP address and change it if necessary to ensure it is within the address range of the network as configured on the first router and not conflicting with any other device on the local network.
• set the DHCP address range of the second router to fit inside the address range of the first router. (Alternatively, disable DHCP and manually set the IP address of each device connected to the second router to fall within the first router's range.)
An example of a working IP configuration for a router-to-router local network with no subnetwork is shown in the table below. "

biggest thing I see is make sure your ip address of the second is set to be in the range of the first but make sure its not the same at the first router