Building a new desktop gaming pc

Good-in-Theory

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hi all,

TL;DR Version

I'd like to build something around my (already owned) Geforce 650 ti 2gb and a (yet to be bought) Intel i5 3570 or 4670 (to K or not to K, that is the question) with 6-8 GB of RAM. Will that run Skyrim pretty and run the Witcher 3 in the future? If so, what mother board and power supply should I get? If not, what do I need to spend more money on as far as the core components goes?

More meandering version:

I've been running the same machine for 6 years or so and am now looking to upgrade. I don't really stay on the cutting edge of releases so I've been able to make due with my cpu (Wolfdale Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz) but that's starting to change. I bought some relatively new components for my old build recently and have an idea about the processor I want but would welcome any help on fleshing out the build and figuring out what I can retool and what I can't. I was figuring I'd salvage what I could from the old build while still keeping it running as a 2nd machine and put together something new.

I think Skyrim is on the edge of things I'd like to run reasonably well - Kingdoms of Amalur, Sins of a Solar Empire, Fallout 3, The Old Republic and maybe some other MMOs like Neverwinter or Warframe are some other things. In the future I'm looking forward to the Witcher 3, so being ready for that would be good.

I've never tried to overclock or run cards in SLI or done much in the way of tinkering, but I'm open to some small tweaks if they're easy and safe enough.

For the processor I'm looking at the Intel Core i5 3570 or the i5 4670. Not sure whether I should go for the Ivy or the Haswell and if the -K versions are worth it, so any direction there would be helpful.

I recently replaced my ASUS 8600 GT 512 mb with an EGA GeForce 650 Ti 2gb. I was planning on just pulling the 650 Ti out for the new machine. Would it be worthwhile to try running two of them in SLI?

I recently replaced (or rather added to) 2 x 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 1066 with 2 x 2 GB of the same. My old machine is running 32 bit so I can't actually take advantage of it all, so if it's possible to repurpose some, that would be great.

Basically, assuming they're good enough for what I'd like to do, I'd like to build things around the i5 core and the 650 ti. If that assumption is wrong, I'm willing to spend a couple hundred more on core components and I'd be open to recommendations, but I'd rather not if possible.

From there direction on an appropriate motherboard, power supply, and amount of memory (6 or 8 gb?) should set me up. I have some spare 90mm fans for cooling purposes to throw in a case as well. I was just going to pick out whatever case I fancied on the cheap, but if you've got a rec there I'm open to that too.

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Well,you are not reporposing the RAM that is for certain,DDR2 and 3 don't mix.
The 650ti is still capable,but yes,an SLI is an easy upgrade right now,when you are in the market and willing to spend,and they are about to go extinct anyways,so grab one while you can. This creates an intriguing situation,that i'll do my best to help with.
So do you intend to salvage as much as possible from your core 2 duo rig or do you intend to keep that in a usable state at the other end of this upgrade? What are it's full specifications,and what is your upgrade budget?

Good-in-Theory

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Thank you for the response. I think I plan on keeping the core 2 duo usable, perhaps giving it to my mom who somehow is now down to a lap top at home.

I've since done some more looking and have a shopping cart that I am thinking of going ahead with, though I am still not confident about my choices with respect to motherboard, power supply, and which processor I've gone with. I am still unsure about what I ought to be looking for in an optimal mobo or power supply, though I think I have the basic stuff down (compatible socket, enough power to run your components).

Here is the package:

CPU: intel i5 3570
MoBo: ASROCK Z77 Extreme3
Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V (Modular, SLI Ready)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2133 (PC3-17000)
Hard Drive: WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64mb cache SATA 6.0gb (Blue)
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24x
Case: APEVIA X Dreamer4 Series

Only thing I'm cannibalizing would be aforementioned GTX 650 Ti 2 GB and a 128 GB SSD I have. I bought the SSD along with a new 1tb drive as my old HD was failing, and was figuring I'd leave that for the old desktop. That way all I need to do is swap out GPUs and clone my windows install from the SSD to the older hard drive for the old build.

I could probably scrounge up an optical drive and an old case and there might even be a spare hard drive somewhere I could use for the old machine if I needed to cut out 150 bucks, but there's that "get me the new things please" id impulse to contend with.

Was also considering bumping up my monitor from my old Samsung 2253 22" 2ms(GTG) running in 1680x1050 to this 1920x1080 27" model, which I found for $190.

Monitor: Hanns-G HL272HPB 27" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor

The bill right now, including the monitor - after discounts, rebates, promos, taxes (that's what I get for living in CA), shipping, and rounding - comes to:

$820.

I don't have a budget per se as I've more been thinking along the lines of what I'd like to be able to do, and trying to economize as much as possible within that framework. I'd like to run current games smoothly, but I don't care about being able to turn all my graphics options to the max, though I like it when I don't have to use sparse textures and disable shadows and all that. And I don't want to pay a premium for being on the cutting edge or for rapidly diminishing returns to each dollar spent. That's my framework for trying to limit my own spending.

When it comes to going for the SLI set up, I figure what's best for me is to leave the option open with the hardware I get and then go ahead and see what I can do with what I have and figure out if it's worthwhile for me to spend the next $150.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give. No pressure of course, you're just a friendly person on the web, but my trigger finger is a bit itchy as some of the rebates/promo codes run out tomorrow so if there are any red flags suggesting I should hold off a bit, that would be good to hear soon.

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
PSU is a nono,Raidmax overrate their PSU's so it is not REALLY 630W. I'd also get Haswell,because better motherboards. Here's one.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($278.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.89 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($108.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $980.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-12 21:18 EST+1100)

Good stuff that should work without issue,unless you wan't me to cut the cost more.

TRENDING THREADS