Upgrading Nvidia 9800 GTX+ - Been out the scene for a while

Crimsonfox

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
My GPU just died and I ideally need to replace in a very short time frame as I may need it for work next week. I will be looking to update the rest of the system by the end of the year but this was unexpected annoyingly so I am aware if I get a pci-e v3.0 I won't be able to use it's full potential just yet.

I do like to game but I do 3D design heavily so I need something that'll cope.

I've currently got a Asus p5q p45 mobo which has PCI-e x16 and stanard pci-e. As far as I know, it's pci-e v2.

I'm UK based and I'm really out of the loop so pricing is currently a mystery to me but I guess i'm looking for mid-high end.

If anyone can help it'd be appreciated as I was totally not expecting this. :/

Crimsonfox

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Good question, from what I can see the 760/770 are quite high end and sit about £250-£300. Definitely something to consider, don't want to go higher than that really. What are thennext couple of steps down at the mo?

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
The 760 and 660TI are pretty similar in costs, with the 760 having 30% more memory bandwidth. Given you use this for work (im assuming 3d work or video editing) the 760 would make a better choice given it's data bandwidth. Also you will find a very noticeable performance increase over the (ancient) 9800GTX.

Crimsonfox

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Yeah, I know it's going to be a big step up but that 9800 has done me proud. It'll be a small service and i'll say a few words.

On a serious note, cheers guys, i'll look into the 760 most likely unless someone comes along with another recommendation.

Crimsonfox

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Haha, what did you expect when I said 9800? :p

But hopefully this rig won't last much longer, it's just that this was an unexpected forced upgrade. No point in wasting money on a dirt cheap replacement when i'll just replace that in a few months.