Spilled tea on my PC, HELP troubleshooting

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Okay so somehow my cup had condensation at the bottom and some tea trickled through the top fan into my case. Yes it was ON and I didn't notice till I smelled that electric smelling smoke. Freaked the heck out and turned it off.
Dried her off, she sat for two days, then rubbed down a bit with rubbing alcohol where I thought the water went. I remember the heatsink felt wet, the digi + vrm / epu micopreocessor thingy, the blue sticking out there here: https://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/HMMvTCuBcZLfu2YL/product_overview.jpg
on the mobo was a little moist and that seemed it.
I left it again for the night and today I finally decided to test. Plugged in PSU again and it failed. Lights on mobo lit up and fans moved for a second and it powered off. Damn.
Took out the GPU.
Tried again, it maintained power but because I have no display in I don't know if it's all good.
Now my question is where to go from here. I'm thinking it is either the mono or GPU that is damaged.
Mobo is p6p67 pro
GPU is just a 560 to I wouldn't mind replacing anyway.
Now I'm thinking I need to test a different gpu in there and see if it works or go test my gpu on another mobo or PC someone has.

Is this the best plan? Anything else I could possibly do? If it is starting is it likely something else may be screwed up? I never would have thought it was the gpu as I didn't see any tea get on it at all.

Please advise me.

UPDATE:

So turns out the only thing broken was my gpu, motherboard was totally fine. I had tested the gpu in friend's system. Bought a new amd card and works perfectly again.

P.s please don't mind any errors, I typed this on my tablet and couldn't care to revise right now.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
happen to know where the smell of smoke came from like which component exactly? Whatever the smoke smell came from, sounds like it can't be saved. Multiple things can be defective from here, from the CPU, board, and PSU

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know know to quote using my phone.

No no onboard graphics on this one. At least I don't think so. It's Asus p6p67 pro.

Okay so I tired the other PCI slot underneath without any luck either.
I found that if I just unplugged the pci-e power connecters the card fans spin and the machine boots but of course I doesn't see anything.

Your system is fried. water damage means death. stop trying other things before you break something that maybe isnt broken. you might be able to save the gpu and power supple +hard drives n such but your motherboard and cpu are likely dead

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Well if the system powers up, the cpu is obviously o.k., because it would remain silent like no cpu at all. I would get a little used gpu to see if the system is still good.