I have my first build planned. Please critique.

AJamesH

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I have my first build planned and would like some feedback on my hardware choices. I'll explain my reasoning for selecting these parts as well. I plan on doing gaming, streaming and amateur video editing. (think Youtube game guides) I am looking at a dual monitor setup.

I7 4770k CPU
Gigabyte Geforce GTX770 4GB Video Card
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H Motherboard
WD Black WD1003FZEX 1 TB (Storage Drive)
Black Magic Intensity Pro capture card
Corsair Obsidian 650D case
G SKILL Ripjaws X series 16G F3-1600C9D-16GXM 2x8GB
corsair hydro series h100i CPU Cooler
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 120 GB SSD boot drive
Corsair HX750 PSU

I went with the 4770k processor over the 4820k for the cheaper system cost and the fact that I don't plan to SLI. The GTX 770 is a good video card under 500$ and the 4GB was recommended for dual monitor setups. I don't plan to SLI, unless you can show me an affordable alternative. I chose the Gigabyte GA Z87X DH3 Motherboard because it is more affordable and doesn't have as many outrageous OC options which i don't plan on doing. The GSkill RAM is very well reviewed with good specs and the 2x8 GB will monopolize on the dual channel memory capacity. The liquid cooling is for noise, the Black Magic Intensity Pro is a well reviewed capture card, and finally the Corsair HX 750 W Gold rated modular PSU to cover the 600W gobbling GTX770 with some overhead. Looking for 2 21.5' or smallest 1080p monitors I can find with a 5 ms response time or less.

Questions: Would it be better to do 4X4 RAM just to fill all slots? Is DisplayPort worth investing in over HDMI? I am planning on just using headphones if that's relevant.

Please point out any flaws you see. I will appreciate any help as this is my first build.

AJamesH

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Thank you for the advice. According to the specifications for the i7 4770k and motherboard, 1600 MHz is the supported memory speed. Would it just be that its better RAM for the same price or am I missing something? Thanks for the monitor tip.

AJamesH

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Thanks for the advice. According to the specs for the I7 4770k and the motherboard 1600 MHz is the supported frequency. I can see that it's better RAM for the same price but would that become an issue for compatibility? Thank you for the monitor tip. Sorry for the double post, it didn't indicate i was actually replying to you.

AJamesH

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Ok. Thanks. I'll go with that. I dont know why the higher freq RAM is 2$ cheaper, but I'll take it. Found a new problem though. The GTX 770 only has 1 of each display connector so now I'm on the hunt for 2 DisplayPort monitors which you can daisy chain together if I'm not mistaken. Is this true?