VGA on iGPU, DVI on GPU | Asus GTX 770 | i5-4670k

Broadleaf

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
My main monitor is hooked up to my gpu, Asus gtx 770. I'd now like to add a second monitor, however, it's a little old and is using vga. There are no vga ports on my graphics card so I looked around a bit to try to find how to connect it to my motherboard and use intel integrated graphics.
So, I enabled iGPU in the bios, and I've set the primary display to my PCIE.

No signal to my second, VGA monitor. Anybody willing to share their knowledge on how to do this correctly?

Asus z-87 plus
Corsair HX750
Asus gtx 770
Intel i5-4670k

Solution
Any of the other ports are digital so it doesn't matter. You could get a converter for the other ports to vga but those are $20-30.

There is not a difference in quality from using the igpu. And it won't slow down the cpu unless you're overheating. The 770 can easily do 4 monitors.
Yeah you need to replace the GPU with one with multiple ports. You can't set a IGP to output WITH a GPU, it is normally a either OR, because your running video processing from the chips of EITHER IGP OR GPU, not together (unless you bought a laptop that it uses it as discreet video, but that uses a additional / different sets of chips).

Broadleaf

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Just for clariy, there is no way to run them both at the same time?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Just get a VGA to DVI adapter, plug yourr VGA cable into the Adapter and the adapter into one of the 770s DVI outputs, your 770 has the ports and can run 2 monitors, or even 3 just fine by itself. Use the nVidia software to set up multiple displays and make the 2 monitors a single large desktop

A vga to dvi-i adapter hooked to your gpu would be simpler. But you can have both on. There is an option in bios called igpu multi monitor. Then you can install the intel drivers and the monitor will go on. This option is available on every intel mobo with igpu capabilities since sb. With prior chipsets or with amd it is still possible with force enabling the igpu which is available on every apu mobo. So it's actually normal that you can.

Yeah my bad for not looking up the card for him and pointing out the OP is mistaken that there are multiple ports on the back of the 770 and just need a adapter. Or better yet buy a CHEAP new LCD that includes DVI ports (normally).

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I suggested the adapter as the 770 is much more powerful than the CPUs onboard graphics and it can slow the CPU, the 770 can easily handle 2-3 monitors and at much higher quality for the $5-6 price of an adapter (and may even already have one in his GTX 770 box, the card came in for just this reason ;)

Broadleaf

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I've looked around and all that I find is that you can not use vga with dvi-d, which is the only other dvi port on my card. Right now I have a monitor connected to the dvi-i port and it doesnt work when I put it on the dvi-d port..am I doing this wrong, do I have wrong information?
These are the dvi ports that I have available on my card, and I've heard vga to dvi adaptor will not work on the bottom most one.
6OAPw.jpg

Any of the other ports are digital so it doesn't matter. You could get a converter for the other ports to vga but those are $20-30.

There is not a difference in quality from using the igpu. And it won't slow down the cpu unless you're overheating. The 770 can easily do 4 monitors.

Solution