Help me Upgrade/Build my Gaming Rig

chrisrv

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I'm going to use my tax return to upgrade my computer. I need some advice. I haven't built my own system in 4-5 years and I'm a bit behind the times on new stuff.

My Goal) Be able to play games that are out now at their max. Stuff like Skyrim, PoE, Minecraft with a ton of mods and high end textures. etc. Also I do some 3d modelling and rendering, but nothing too crazy.

My price range) I already have monitor, case, optical drives, 1 HDD. I only need new Motherboard, Processor and/or GPU, RAM, and maybe an SSD. I want to keep it around $500.

Question 1) CPU/GPU vs APU. I used to be majorly against the APU concept. Early on, they just sucked compared to a dedicated GPU. What I'm reading now is that you can get a pretty good APU that will give good performance for cheaper prices. Is this true? I know that a high end CPU+GPU will still likely outperform even the best APU, but what do you all recommend here?

Question 2) This ties in with question 1... If I don't go APU, what Processor should I shoot for?

Question 3) This one seems easy. Ram. DDR3 seems to be the way to go. 8GB+. Any Opinions?

Question 4) HDD vs SSD vs Both. I currently have a 500GB drive. I'm thinking of adding an SSD that will hold the OS + the few programs I want the best performance out of. This sound reasonable? And put the rest on the HDD.

Question 5) When picking a MB, I know obviously need to make sure it supports my CPU, GPU, and RAM. But anything else I should look for?

Question 6) Where should I buy? Last time I used NewEgg.

Question 7) Any general recommendations or advice that I didn't touch on?

Thanks!

Chris

Pixel Monkey

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
1) There have been advancements in apus but CPU/GPU is still better.

2) I would go with an amd 8320 good cheep cpu and a 660.

3)DDR3 8gb for sure

4) For now stick with your hard drive and save some money

5) Sorry dont know much on mobos

6) Use http://pcpartpicker.com/ to look for parts

chrisrv

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

PcPartPicker is awesome. thanks for that suggestion.

Overshot my $500 price point by $200, but here's what I'm considering.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Q8s0

Anyone want to give their thoughts?

AMD FX-8350 CPU (8 core, 4GHZ)
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card

Plus a power supply and a replacement heat-sink/fan/paste for the processor because I read the stock one is crap.