Graphics card isn't sending a signal to my monitor.

valerian97

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
I'm not sure if my graphics card has either died or just not receiving enough power. Or many other reasons i'm probably not aware of yet. I took out my graphics card and gave it a very nice clean i put it back the exact same way i found it. I'm not sure how to check my BIOS yet for if my graphics card is detected or not since its an EFI BIOS i think i might have to go into advanced mode or even just download a program that can try and see if my video card is working. I plugged my VGA cable into the motherboard socket not my graphics card because it doesnt work. i can atleast run my computer and still be able to look into the BIOS. How do i check if my graphics card is dead or something else might be a problem can someone please help me?

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
To test the graphics card is working or not you can try plugging it in another computer.

It really doesn't hurt if one can be more specific about the details.
Can you tell some more info?
power wattage of PSU
graphics card
motherboard
operating system etc

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
460 needs two 6-pin power cable connected coming from PSU
Are you sure you have these cables connected?

460 needs some power. It needs either 450W or 500W PSU at minimum.

Take some pictures of graphics cards and PSU, Post them here.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Visually everything is in order.
Your PSU is 450W
Is the fan on gfx card rotating?

For basics, you could try resetting the BIOS, Power off the pc, take out that small CMOS battery for 10 mins, reinstall back, connect monitor back to gfx card and see if it works. You could also try connecting monitor to the other slot on gfx card. See, if you're getting display on gfx card, the system is surely recognizing the presence of the card, no need to check bios or install extra software.

If it doesn't solve it, try using this gfx card in another computer. If it works in different computer then the fault is with either PSU or motherboard pcie slot.

If it doesn't work there then there might be some real fault with graphics card. If it's in warranty then drop it in RMA and I think you'll get gtx 560 or 570 or even 580 in replacement.

valerian97

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
the fan is rotating yes i already took out the CMOS battery and also moved the jumper on the 2-3 metal and then back on to the 1-2 position and tried reseting that aswell. also i tried doing a post beep test. im not sure its stll in warranty since ive had this for almost 3 years if it is who do i contact so they can replace it. and ive already tried using a different vga input and it works i can use my monitor but i cant play any games because its not using my graphics card. im going to try and test my graphics card on a different computer.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

I'm confused,
let me get this straight. Monitor does work on one of the gfx card vga output. But you can't play games because they aren't using gfx card.

Is that correct?