Videocard prices getting ridiculous thanks to miners

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Seriously. I have been trying to buy a r9-290 for weeks now. And then today, on newegg the price of the non-ref XFX r9-290 has gone from $579 (already well above MSRP) to $647!! I cannot justify spending almost double what these cards are supposed to be selling at.

/end rant

mr91

Distinguished
It's good for the industry because AMD needs the money to grow their business.
I prefer Nvidia cards anyway. The Good thing about AMD is they keep the industry more competitive when releasing cards like the 290 & 290x.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Ultimately, it isn't the miners' fault that the 290 and 290X cards are now ludicrously inflated. The MSRP of the 290 is still $399, AMD has not changed that, so there is only the middleman to blame, the retailers. Newegg is only charging that much money for a $399 card BECAUSE THEY CAN, and people will still buy them at that price. The theory of low supply and high demand is complete rubbish, because the 290 has been out long enough now to build up in supply, and yet prices are still inflated. This will seriously hurt AMD in the long run, because the target consumers of the 290 and 290X, the gamers, are now choosing Nvidia over AMD. It will not end well for AMD, even if mining ends suddenly. The market will be flooded with used 290 and 290X cards, and in turn will hurt retail sales.

mr91

Distinguished
I think that by the time mining is no longer a reason to buy R9 series AMD card the next gen will come out. I heard this will happen in 2015.

This is good for AMD unless mining end in the next few months in my opinion

mr91

Distinguished
I think that by the time mining is no longer a reason to buy R9 series AMD card the next gen will come out. I heard this will happen in 2015.

This is good for AMD unless mining ends in the next few months in my opinion

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I was really considering upgrading to an R9 290 until the prices went through the ceiling. I have to admit, the GPU market isn't appealing right now, the GTX 700 series cards are soon to be replaced by the 800 series, which should bring a new architecture and a die shrink to the table, but could also come with a hefty price tag because of the inflated competition, and knowing Nvidia, it probably will.

Supply and demand isn't rubbish at all. Because that's exactly what has happened. The cards sold much better than anyone anticipated (yes, the miners), and therefore the non ref suppliers and the retailers are making tons of additional profit.

If you don't think that's because of supply and demand, you're delusional.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

So you are implying that the inflation we are seeing is purely the result of high demand? And that would mean it can only decrease as we go, considering the fact that mining is becoming more difficult by the minute. Supply will eventually catch up, but I don't think we will be seeing a retail 290 at $399 for quite a while.

And why then aren't these cards in the EU overpriced like they are in the US?