Performance hit when using dual monitors / HDMI audio option on a videocard?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Anytime you ask your gfx solution to perform extra duty, no matter how minor, there is a performance hit. Usually, it is not too severe with just a 2nd monitor displaying a 2D desktop. Run some benchmark pgms with the 2nd monitor enabled and again without.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Does putting in a second video to run the extra monitor card help?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, it will take any extra demand off the main card. But the HD 7750 (while a great low end card) is way more than is necessary for driving a 2nd monitor that will be used for simply 2D desktop duty. Does your MB have integrated video? Some boards allow the integrated to be enabled at the same time as the discrete card. Some, of course, do not. You could try it and see if yours works.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
No, my board doesn't not have integrated graphics.

Is there a way to make sure that Windows 7 only utilizes my 7850 to run my games? I just want to make sure the rig doesn't ever use the low end card for high demand programs.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Windows will only use the card that is connected to the monitor that the game is being displayed on.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
How do I make my rig utilize the 7850 as the primary card when booting into Windows?

Also, will this make my motherboard switch to x8 mode on PCIe or does that only happen in crossfire mode?

BTW - thank you for your help with this!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

There is no "primary card". The cards are just connected to different monitors. You determine which monitor is the main display in Windows. Or in your CCC. Then which ever monitor is displaying the game is the one whose card is being used.

What MB are you using?

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Thanks. I got it all figured out now. I bought a 7750 pretty cheap at a local best buy. I know that's overkill, but the price was definitely right.

Thank you again!

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

I noticed that when I play video (like Twitch streams) on the monitor connected to the 7750 card, the temperatures on my 7850 go up, while the 7750's temps remain stable. Any idea why this is? Isn't the 7750 the card thats processing the video?