Solved

I need your help! Trying not to get ripped off buying a computer.

Hello all,
okay so let me explain this real quick. I am going to buy a new computer, but the question is to build or not to build. So should I buy a factory built computer or build one. I have built my own computers twice. I am not a professional at all. Now I want to do the basic things like watch videos and browse the web, but I also want to be able to play video games well if possible for my budget. Now this is the tricky part, I am only wanting to spend from 500-700 being the most for this computer. I don't need the best of the best but what could I buy for this price. That is only including the tower. Okay as an example I thought maybe I could buy this computer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/1822131.p?id=1219065403797&skuId=1822131 and just add the video card and power supply. But is it really better?

Thank you for you input in advance!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ripped buying computer
  1. Homebuilt is almost always better value for money.

Filling out this is helpful.
  2. The problem is I have no idea what parts I should built it from. I mean I have been wracking my brain all day trying to research, but I guess I haven't been keeping up with things and there is to much stuff to choose for the value.
  3. Fill out the link I posted, and I'll help you.
  4. Best answer
    You should check this out. This is the best bang for the buck..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfGE4i_A6E4
  5. Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: About 2 weeks.
    Budget Range: 500-700 Would rather keep below 650.
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, browsing, watching video.
    Are you buying a monitor: Not included in budget

Parts to Upgrade: From scratch

Do you need to buy OS: Already own

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: does not matter.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

No monitar yet.

Additional Comments: Well I actually do not have anything in mind right now. Maybe wildstar which isn't out but some what current gaming.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Well just need to get a desktop because only have laptop now.
  6. Eh, I'm not a fan of the CX series, and you save a bunch by shopping around anyway.
  7. that computer he builds in that video is great, but the price of r9 270x went up a little. just keep that in mind. but a great build
  8. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($192.45 @ Mwave)
    Case: Silverstone Redline Series RL04B ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $652.38
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-10 03:45 EST-0500)

How's that?

Do you need an ODD?
  9. mikeblaze76 said:
    that computer he builds in that video is great, but the price of r9 270x went up a little. just keep that in mind. but a great build

I thought video cards go down in price over time not up. So why did that one go up 100 dollars?
  10. Because someone figured out that AMD cards are very good at mining LiteCoins, so suddenly the demand shot up.
  11. well the card you listed is that a even replacement for this card?
  12. 2GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Graphics Card vs Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card what is the big differences?
  13. AMD FX 6300 Vishera Processor = $120
    ASRock 960GC-GS FX = $55
    Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB = $70
    RAIDMAX ATX-402WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower = $40
    Rosewill Stallion Series 500W ATX12V Power Supply = $40
    EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit = $260

Total Worth = $585
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Build