Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8.1 Home Server, Storage Spaces or RAID, good idea? What hardware to run it on?

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2014 9:02:55 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a build of a home server and don't want to go down the WHS 2011 because it is only available from a vender that sells machines.

I was planning using windows 8.1 Pro using a motherboard that supported RAID, that is until I read this article.

http://betanews.com/2014/01/15/windows-storage-spaces-and-refs-is-it-time-to-ditch-raid-for-good/

I now want a sever that either, I buy of an off the shelf small business server or I build one myself.

I don't know which server I could buy or which motherboard I could base my own build around. I'm after low noise low power consumption an easy life.

I personally like the idea of building my own unit. If I go the Storage Spaces route i won't need any RAID capability which appeals as a less hassle option.

I really appreiciate your comments as to the pros and cons of using Win 8.1 & Storage Spaces.

I'd also appreicate some hardware or component options. To install this on.
a b G Storage
February 10, 2014 10:44:29 AM

You can get WHS2011 as OEM (it's $50 on Amazon).
As for data - I would not rely on Storage Spaces for extending. If you really care for your data, make sure you have backup strategy as well - RAID (or Storage Spaces) are no replacement for a good tested backup
a b * Windows 8
a c 812 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2014 5:48:42 PM

Depending on your needs there are several free alternate nas software solutions which offer both software raid and the expansion capabilities of Storage Spaces. Heck even whs11 has a plugin for it now (not sure if its free though)
!