Linking two subnet - Help please !!

thomasv123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hi,

I have been trying to link two subnets of my home network. I have router1 configured with 192.168.1.1 and router2 192.168.2.1.

I have followed;
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes

using the above all works fine and both subnets communicate, but once I do this machines connected to router 2 looses internet connectivity, but they can connect to machine in network1. This happens as soon as I set router2 in router mode, if I put it back in gateway internet works but the subnet1 does not talk to subnet2, although subnet2 can talk to subnet 1.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Please help me.

Thanks.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hey,
sorry dont have time right now to read the full guide
Not sure how the routers are physically connected to each other and if there is an intermediate router??

Normally on home routers there is a static default route which says
"if you dont know where an IP address is send the traffic this way by default"
"This way" is usually the wan interface on the router.

it sounds like at some point your network 2 computers don't have the right default route.

normally in enterprise grade kit the routing table is a list the router goes through from top to bottom in order.

so it might say
network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 is on interface 1
network 192,168.1.0 255.255.255.0 is on interface 2
network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is on interface 3

if it gets through the first 2 entries and doesn't get a match. the 3rd entry basically matches any IP at all and will always apply.

Try inserting a 3rd static route with destination net 0.0.0.0, and subnet 0.0.0.0, and a gateway of the interface on the next router towards the internet connection. Also make sure there are static routes in both directions... (i take it these routers dont support a routing protocol like rip? it would make this easier.

Also make sure you have the right options for gareway/router dropdown selected as per guide?