Dropped MyBook ; External Doesn't Read!!

FranklyBlackk

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thank you community for listening-

Yesterday my WD My Book fell roughly 15in off a lower shelf on my desk. From that point, my drive DID NOT read on my computer. I contacted WD today to confirm my 3yr Warranty and they're sending me a new external; I also received authorization to crack open the case. I though maybe the board attached might have stopped working. Or maybe even the USB pins. I installed the drive into a different external shell, but still the HD does not read on my computer. This is as far as my tools can take me. Looking further into some issues, it seems like it COULD be inside the HD case itself. Unfortunately I neither want to take apart that drive, nor have the appropriate tools. Once you power on the drive you can hear it spin + tiny clicking. Is my assumption closely correct? And if so, what are possible fixes and maybe some guestimated prices? I live in NYC and there's ALOT of sharks out there. I ABSOLUTELY need the information on this external. Any/all information or advice will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you.

FranklyBlackk

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Can my information be recovered + transferred to a new drive?

FranklyBlackk

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I'm really tempted to freeze the hard drive. I have external shells I can drop the HD in to quickly run the process. Is it worth the risk?

TRENDING THREADS