Building a new PC for my teenage son

BlueShoe

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Hi everyone. First post on this message board and appreciate any feedback. From reading other posts, it is very apparent that many members on this board are very knowledgeable. I hope to pick your brain for a moment.

I have built several PC’s over the past 15 years or so, and also work in IT; however, I haven’t built a gaming PC in about 7 years or so. Working on a network and on PC’s built for the business world is a different animal. I have even stopped building my own personal PC’s over the past few years, because it has been less time consuming to just buy a throw away and replace it every few years or so. Plus when you do it for a living; it is just not as fun to spend my free time working on computers. You begin to see these things in your sleep. I am sure we all have enough family members dropping broken computers off.

My son has long been into Xbox gaming and he would like to follow my footsteps in working on computers after he finishes high school and college. I figure the best thing to do is to build a gaming PC with him so he gets the enjoyment and the experience. I might even learn something new too. :)

I bought all of the parts for us to assemble together, and we plan to make a day of it once all of the parts arrive.

We wanted to stay budget-minded, yet also have a lot of upgrade ability, and I believe we have accomplished that. What we bought:

NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case, Black 921RB-001-BL
Gigabyte AMD FM2+/FM2 A88X DDR3 2133 (GA-F2A88X-UP4)
AMD Quad Core A10-6800K with Radeon HD 8670D
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 600W Power Supply
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
LG Electronics 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD Internal Rewriter with M-Disc Support

We have about $600 invested and will install Windows 7 Pro on it.

I decided to buy the A10-6800K APU because we can run graphics from the CPU for now and add a Radeon GPU later on to give it a really good kick. The 4.1 ghz Richland was a good selling point based on the good reviews I have seen. We may overclock the processor later, when we upgrade the cooling system. Baby steps though, as I will let him dictate this pace based on the knowledge he aquires.

My inexperience is on the gaming side (I do not play online games) and I am curious what this systems capability will be to play online games. Also looking for suggestions of what others might do to upgrade this system if it were their own.

Thanks in advance for your time.

BlueShoe

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Outlander,

Thank you for the reply. Would you recommend adding a Radeon HD 7850 Graphics card or scaling down a bit due to cooling issues?