Please be very careful or avoid all together the Fry's Electronic stores near Los Angeles

kentonbomb84

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Ok I created a brand new account here because I'm hoping to spread my experience to everyone and help them avoid the hell my weekend was. Please pardon any mistakes I make and how long this is going to be. And the two stores are located in Anahiem and City of Industry.

First off I was going to help my friend create a new budget PC so he can finally do some light gaming. So we go to microcenter and get the parts we needed. We were short on cash so we decided to go to Fry's and use credit to purchase a R7 240 and crossfire it.

Well once we got there we spent awhile looking around. We noticed one asus 240 left for $69 and we decided to get it. So we head off to my place which is located in riverside, which is around 60 miles away so it took around 2hrs.

Once we're home we decided to start the build. As I was doing the breadboard test I asked my friend to hand me the 240. Thats when he opened the box and noticed that it was empty.

At first I thought he was screwing around with me, but the I realized he was serious. We were shocked. Completely surprised that this happened. We knew that the odds of them believing us were next to none. But I decided to call anyways.

Thats when a customer rep picked up.

I explained my situation and asked if I can speak to the supervisor and get this sorted out since its a long drive. After I was placed on hold the rep told me that the supervisor wouldn't speak to me and that I had to come in person. I tried to reason with her that its 7:30pm and its a 60 mile drive and that I don't want to go and waste the little gas I had left just to be told no.

Again I was told he wouldnt speak to me unless I was at the store.
Furious I drove off to Fry's (not too furious as in i was driving recklessly though lol i wouldnt get mad at strangers for nothing)

Once I got there I went to their return center. The first thing I noticed was that the associate on the counter was the one who rang me up. After explaining to her what happened she completelely denied it and accused me of lying. At that point I demanded to speak to the manager.

While waiting my friend decided to go look back at the GPUs. He came back telling me how every single box was open had no sort of protection at all. Not even the exployees were there.

When the supervisor came I asked why he wouldn't take my call personally. He said he was busy. Which wasn't any reply I was given over the phone. I could understand if he was busy but to be denied straight out just added to my frustration.

I then proceeded to ask why every box was opened. He told me that's how they all come like, which isnt true since I bought a 780 from amazon and it came sealed on the sides.

Thats when he told me that he has no control over the customers actions, which is true but why couldn't he tell me that to begin with. ( I really wanted to just lose it at this point because my grandparents were there since even though I'm 19 they still don't like me driving out at night. They were tired and hunger at that point. My grandfather was diabetic and I could tell he was feeling tired so I just wanted this to end as soon as possible)

But thats when he said alright go get another card. I tell him there none in stock left. He insisted that there was. So I go and try looking for it. And like I said nothing.

I try calling an associate to help me. He says ok, but then heads off to go help someone who's looking at a mac and ignored us completely. Well I guess someones who buying a 50 dollar card isnt as important as someone buying a mac right?

So I grab the only thing I see which was able to crossfire with the A10 which was the R7 250 but it was 50 dollars more.

Once I head back to the supervisor. I tell him this is the only thing but its 50 dollars more. He tell me then to go back and grab one of the cheaper nvidia cards since its the same thing.

I told him I cant do that. He looks mad at me and asks why the hell not. Then I begin to explain crossfireing APU with GPU's and the benifits for mantel. At the end of it he was left with his mouth open and said ok.

Just ok. (Some satisfaction, I stunned him with my knowledge of PC's but still hated how long this was taking.)

Though I learned that once I came back he was speaking to my grandmother. And she begins to tell me he'll offer us a discount. I said you mean like for what I ended up having to pay for gas? She said no just $10. I thought well its something until I realized the discount was just a $10 off price match he found on amazon. I confronted him on this and he said they aren't allowed to give discounts.

I asked then why the hell would you lie to my grandmother.(She knows absolutely nothing about this and it drove me crazy that he would purpously lie to her. The amount of anger and hatred I felt towards this guy was unbelievable.) He didn't reply. So after paying an extra 30 dollars in the upgrade and 40 dollars extra on gas. We finally got home around 10:30.

I was tired. My friend was pissed. My grandparents fell asleep in the car and then fell asleep once we got home.

I told myself "Well at least its over"

And thats when I plugged in the card.

No signal

No output

I couldn't believe it. I literally was in a state of shock from being so exhausted from driving 240miles in a day and dealing with that guy. I began to feel itchy (started happening recently whenever I'm hot or nervous) it got worse. I knew it was broken

The thought of it was making it worse.

I felt like I had to tear off my skin from how bad it felt. (Hell I'm feeling it again as I'm typing this just had to turn on my A/C even though its 49 F here.

So I fall asleep and said Ill deal with this in the morning it. I didn't get much sleep since I was up to 3AM configuring my friends build. Instead I opted to go to a fry's (city of industry) and just return the card because the thought of that place was enough to start getting me irratated again. And thats when I realized that the employee who did my return put a sticker on it that said refurbished on it. I asked what he was going to do with it.

He says he's going to go stock it back later. STOCK A CARD AS REFURBISHED. THAT I TOLD HIM WAS BROKEN. (This is the whole point I'm warning all of you, yes I had a terrible experience but I want all of you to be careful incase you decided going refurbished to save a few bucks.) I gave up, said **** this place went back to microcenter. Bought the card.

Thats when I noticed it had a manual, installation dics AND PCI PROTECTION. That little blue thing that covers it. The cards are Fry's had none.

So in the end it was no budget build, and nothing but headaches. So do yourselves a favor and avoid those stores like the plauge. I don't know about the ones in other states but if your in LA think twice about going to those stores for important parts.

Should I follow through and complain to HQ? Or write to BBB? And suggestions would be great.
And thanks for taking the time to read this long story.

Solution
I would complain to the BBB on principle alone for the poor customer service. Sounds like that store is run by a bunch of slack jawed yokels.

that said there are two fry's here in phoenix, and I've had nothing but 100% awesome experiences with them. Its a shame that store in LA sucks... but the two here in phoenix rock. Knowledgeable associates, high quality, great customer service. Its the only computer store i'll even set foot in out here.
I would complain to the BBB on principle alone for the poor customer service. Sounds like that store is run by a bunch of slack jawed yokels.

that said there are two fry's here in phoenix, and I've had nothing but 100% awesome experiences with them. Its a shame that store in LA sucks... but the two here in phoenix rock. Knowledgeable associates, high quality, great customer service. Its the only computer store i'll even set foot in out here.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Fry's is an extremely dishonest retailer. They are notorious for putting any returned items back on the shelf without explaining why they were returned. I'm guessing the GPU you bought is one of those cases. But I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.