Best 1440p Gaming Monitor

Dylan1LTJ

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
So I've seen this thread a couple times, but none had concerns that involved myself. I have searched on Amazon for multiple monitors and no matter what if I'm looking at an IPS monitor someone complains about ghosting and if it's a TN monitor someone complains it looks washed out and the colors aren't good. I am spending A LOT on my PC build this Summer and it would be really lame if I have amazing ms and hz yet my monitor looked like poop. I am not a pro gamer but do enjoy games like BF4, CS:GO, and LoL. As well as various other Single player games and a few more FPS like BioShock and BioShock Infinite so I would prefer not to have ghosting.

I have a PC build plan capable of running 1440p near to max so no worries there, my main concern is a monitor that covers everything I want out of it. I have both questions and comments about the kind of monitor I want.

1. If I get a TN monitor or a monitor "better" for gaming (As I have heard) then will my graphics not be good? and Vice versa if I get an IPS monitor I don't want really high response time and low refresh rate.

2. What games can go up to 1440p? Cause it would bother me if I played LoL or an older game like BioShock and It only reached like 1080p (That would defeat the purpose of spending extra for a better resolution IMO). So are all games capable of reaching 1440p? If I could get a list of the capable games at that resolution that would be awesome.

3. Will I notice the difference between 5 ms and 2ms? Or the difference between 60 Hz and 144 Hz?

And some points on the kind of monitor I would like (if it's possible to have all these things)
-A good display with good color and blacks that look black and whites that look white.
-Around 5 ms response time (if that doesn't have ghosting or would I even notice?) and a good refresh rate (I have heard 60 Hz is fine and I have heard people can't handle that low. So not sure what's good)
-If I did 1440p, I would prefer a 27 inch monitor, but If anyone can find all these things for a smaller size I will take a look.
-I do have a price limit, but I'd rather see if this kind of monitor is even out there than try to find one at a budget, so whatever price is fine for now, as long as it's not too outrageous.
-If lots of games don't run at 1440p then I would get a 1080p instead and switch down to 24 inch monitor (with these same specs if possible)

Sorry, it's so long, but I just don't want to make a mistake in buying a monitor. I feel it's a really important piece since that is what you will be initially looking at the entire time you play.
Thank you for any suggestions!

Update: I also forgot to mention I won't be getting my PC until beginning August so if there are monitors coming out within the next 6 months they will work too!

Solution
answers to your questions~

1) It depends on your planned use. Generally speaking, FPS games benefit from high refresh rates the most. It's also widely believed that any "twitch" game needs a min of a 5ms response time. The trick you run into is almost no monitor company will report their response time accurately. The reason why BenQ and Asus seem to be the preferred monitor by most, it aside from quality, they're also the only two manufacturers out there who won't lie on their monitor product specs; when an Asus advertises 2ms response rate, you'll get a monitor with 2ms response rate. Something you can't say about almost all other monitor manufacturers

2) Pretty much all modern games (made in the last 2 or 3 years) can be...
answers to your questions~

1) It depends on your planned use. Generally speaking, FPS games benefit from high refresh rates the most. It's also widely believed that any "twitch" game needs a min of a 5ms response time. The trick you run into is almost no monitor company will report their response time accurately. The reason why BenQ and Asus seem to be the preferred monitor by most, it aside from quality, they're also the only two manufacturers out there who won't lie on their monitor product specs; when an Asus advertises 2ms response rate, you'll get a monitor with 2ms response rate. Something you can't say about almost all other monitor manufacturers

2) Pretty much all modern games (made in the last 2 or 3 years) can be displayed in 1440p or more.

3) you probably won't notice the difference from 2ms and 5ms... FPS fanatics claim you can tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz. I am not a FPS fanatic, nor can i tell the difference between 60fps and 144fps. Frankly if the frames are well paced i have great difficulty telling the difference from 30fps and 60fps in most titles*.

*i could tell the difference in tomb raider between 45fps and 60fps... but i believe that's more because of the horific stuttering i was suffering at 45fps due to my gpu being a bit under powered for the high graphic settings in TR. generally i can't tell the difference from 30 and higher as long as the frames are paced well...

Solution