720p HDTV vs 1080p Monitor

Superdog123

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Hi guys so i was wondering if there really is a difference that a human eye can tell between a 720p HDTV vs 1080p monitor when gaming or just normal use such as watching movies and browsing webpages. Thank You!

Solution
It is hard to read websites on a TV. Even on my 1080 TV reading is quite a lot of an eye strain. The TV I have is better for movies (it even makes some lower quality exports look better than the 1080 monitor I have). Is there a difference - yes there is. As gaming goes - monitor is a lot better, you don't have to struggle with the smaller User Interface elements or the text. And the TV costs 8 times the price of the monitor.

So:
Movies - TV
Web browsing + gaming - Monitor.

elletheking

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Yes you can tell the difference, an easy way to try this is to go to a nearby store that sells tvs and such and check out two similar sized tvs/monitors one with 1080p, one with 720p

Assuming you are looking for a monitor above the 22-24" size, there definitely is a difference

Shneiky

Distinguished
It is hard to read websites on a TV. Even on my 1080 TV reading is quite a lot of an eye strain. The TV I have is better for movies (it even makes some lower quality exports look better than the 1080 monitor I have). Is there a difference - yes there is. As gaming goes - monitor is a lot better, you don't have to struggle with the smaller User Interface elements or the text. And the TV costs 8 times the price of the monitor.

So:
Movies - TV
Web browsing + gaming - Monitor.

Solution

Superdog123

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I just ordered a new 23" asus monitor and i was just wondering if i'll be able to tell the difference between my 19" hdtv i had a few years back i was using a laptop until now.

Yes with a 1080p monitor the image will be more crisp and you don't notice the pixels as easily. Monitors also usually produce better colors and you don't see the ghost effect when watching a dark video scene.

As for gaming a monitor will be much more responsive to user input. And at 1080p you see more stuff. TVs are usually brighter for viewing at a distance so it will easily strain your eye if you look at it close up for a long time.