Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Budget Gaming PC Build $300-$400

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Build
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
February 11, 2014 11:33:51 AM

Hey guys first post here! :) 
So I'm an avid gamer and I'd really like to get into PC gaming the only thing is I'm kind of on a budget and need your help! I'd really like to stay around $300 to $400.

So I ALREADY have a Western Digital 7200rpm HD from an old PC that I've wiped. I also have a cd/dvd reader/writer and a mouse, keyboard, and display. Also I would appreciate the OS (Windows 8) to be included in the final price.

I'm honestly not looking to have amazing graphics capabilities considering my budget but I'm content with medium or high at a decent resolution. I just need something that can run and play recent release/next-gen games at a good frame rate. Kind of obscure I know but having a game run super ultra just doesn't matter as much as being able to actually play it! :pt1cable: 

I'd rather have a graphics card than run an APU. Just a preference I guess. Although if that's what I have to do I'm up for it. If you guys can suggest a good PC to get the most bang for my buck I would really appreciate it!! :wahoo: 

Also I'm willing to go a little above $400 if i really have to, I'd rather stay as cheap as possible.

More about : budget gaming build 300 400

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2014 11:46:53 AM

This is the cheapest you could get with a GPU :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($95.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $461.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 14:44 EST-0500)

And here is one that fits your budget, with an APU :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $395.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 14:46 EST-0500)
Share
February 11, 2014 11:47:18 AM

Do you have a case as well (considering you salvaged a few parts already), what about RAM and PSU? A budget like that, your going to need to cut every corner

Just so you know a OS is going to cut your budget by 1/4 if it is $400
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2014 12:19:21 PM

minerva330 said:
Do you have a case as well (considering you salvaged a few parts already), what about RAM and PSU? A budget like that, your going to need to cut every corner

Just so you know a OS is going to cut your budget by 1/4 if it is $400


Well I have a case, it's older. I dont know which size ATX case it is though. I think normal? (Excuse me I'm rather new) No RAM or sufficient PSU.

The OS is what's getting me. I really like both builds posted by Seladon. I'm still open to ideas though!
m
0
l
February 11, 2014 12:24:29 PM

Seladon-1370374 said:
This is the cheapest you could get with a GPU :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rsn3/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($95.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $461.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 14:44 EST-0500)

And here is one that fits your budget, with an APU :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Rstp/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $395.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 14:46 EST-0500)


Thank you for the fast reply! :wahoo:  I really like both, although is the GPU really worth the extra money over the APU? I'll be playing games like skyrim, elder scrolls online, indie games, mmofps.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2014 12:28:30 PM

I'd say that if you can afford the extra money for the one with the GPU, that's 100% the way to go, no doubt about it. And the 7770 is crazy fast for it's price.
m
0
l
February 11, 2014 12:42:15 PM

TrendingOften said:
minerva330 said:
Do you have a case as well (considering you salvaged a few parts already), what about RAM and PSU? A budget like that, your going to need to cut every corner

Just so you know a OS is going to cut your budget by 1/4 if it is $400


Well I have a case, it's older. I dont know which size ATX case it is though. I think normal? (Excuse me I'm rather new) No RAM or sufficient PSU.

The OS is what's getting me. I really like both builds posted by Seladon. I'm still open to ideas though!


Fair enough. The builds Saledon posted are pretty much where it is at for that price point.

I would only offer a few changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $455.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 15:37 EST-0500)

I dropped the case and and dropped you from 2x4gb of memory to 1x4gb. Now people will say how dare you not run in dual-channel this significantly decreases performance, which is true to but it usually overstated, in the real-world it isn't that noticeable. For the games you listed 4gb of RAM is fine and you can upgrade in the future.

This savings allows to purchase a 650Ti. A little beefier when compared to 7770.

Most of the games you listed are not that demanding but with a discrete GPU you will be able to play them on much higher settings when compared to a APU
m
0
l
February 11, 2014 6:44:54 PM

Ok, I've come up with a PC I think I'm happy with. I may be a little over budget but I'm pretty satisfied with this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($57.78 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $517.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-11 21:41 EST-0500)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 11, 2014 6:49:10 PM

That looks good, have fun building/using it, sir !
m
0
l