Should i stay with Nvidia or switch to AMD

appleman634

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Hey guys, im thinking of upgrading my graphics card on my pc, but i've heard some friends with amd cards saying its much cheaper and people say its more HD, so im wondering if i should upgrade to a GTX 760 or an AMD card (can you give some suggestions of which cards too), here are my specs:

8GB RAM
Asus GTX 650 Ti
Asus B75M-A motherboard
intel core i5-3470 3.20 GHz

but i've heard some friends with amd cards saying its much cheaper
it depends on where you live. in some places the radeon got mark up way above it's MSRP because of crypto mining craze.

and people say its more HD

no such thing

760 is quite a step up from 650 Ti but you might want to try looking for 670. it is much faster than 760 and in some place 670 sell for much cheaper price than 760

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
A 7970GHz or 280X would be a much better choice than the 760 or 670 price and performance wise in the UK last time I checked.

Or with patience you can get a good deal on a reference 290(X) on ebay and put a Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 on it for close to £30. (that cooler is cool - but does not have PWM fans - may want to use a fan controller or voltage dropper perhaps.)

That is what I am just doing right now. Recently got a new 290X for under £300 and will get that cooler if I find the reference cooler too loud with custom fan profiles to prevent thermal throttling.

Its going to be a really nice upgrade from my current 7950 :)

Tom's Hardware's "Best Graphics Cards for the Money" for February 2014 is all Nvidia, literally. Above $190 there isn't a single AMD card on the list, not even an honorable mention.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html

With that, as an Nvidia owner, you should take a strong assessment of their unique features and ask yourself if you use them and if they have value to you. AMD cards really only have two features, compute performance and Mantle for BF4. Nvidia cards, on the other hand, have PhysX, Geforce Experience, Shadowplay, and a host of unique graphics settings, such as TXAA, FXAA, HBAO+, Transparency Supersampling, and forced Ambient Occlusion. Which package is more attractive to you and which is more likely to enhance your gaming experience?

One last self-assessment should be the state of Nvidia drivers. Have you had a positive experience with them? Are you comfortable with the Nvidia Control Panel? Are your drivers compatible with your games? If the answer is, "yes", I would stick with what is already working for you and be aware that your friends might be only seeing one side of the spectrum.

Right now AMD cards are overpriced in the high end because the stupid litecoin/dogecoin miners

A GTX760 is probably the best for the price in its performance class.

Now on the sub $200 segment it is a totally different story with AMD ruling for performance/$