PSU for low end gaming PC

Goonerbyron

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Hey,

I'll start off by saying I'm not a huge PC gamer. I'm currently running a HP desktop that has an I3 550 @ 3.2Ghz with it's standard HP Mobo and 350W PSU, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an Asus 6670 1GB GDDR5 that I've added to it for low end gaming. Not much gaming gets done on the machine, The Sims 3 plays on it just fine but I've just started to get into Final Fantasy XIV, which runs OK on standard settings at around 55-60FPS but I'd like to add something to beef it up a little bit.

I've decided on a 7850, which I've found quite a good deal on, but I'm obviously going to need to up the standard HP PSU.. I've put the PC into a calculator and also added an SSD that I may add at a later date and my recommended PSU only comes in at 318 watts even though on the 7850 spec sheet it says a 500 watt PSU is needed.. My question is would something like this - http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-430w-builder-series-cx-80--bronze-atx-power-supply-8BV9.html?q=corsair%20430w&src=16 be OK for safely running the machine due to what the calculator came back with? Don't want to go over the top with the PSU as it is only a low end machine it is powering.

Thanks in advance.

Xiembeest

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
You can get (just) get away with a 430 watt PSU but i reccomend you take a 500 Watt PSU. this is because if you run a 430 watts PSU at 80-90 % of it's total capacity ( unless you have like a high end PSU) all the time it will drastically reduce it's lifespan. A Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W shouldn't be much more expensive and give you a little more headroom.

Hope this helps.