Best GPU to match my older CPU (without bottlenecking)

baznasty

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Simple question:

I am tinkering with an older 2008 computer. I plan on making it a little gaming machine for my daughter (minecraft, etc).

I want to get the most powerful GPU that will not bottleneck the older CPU. The CPU is a Intel E5200 2.4ghz. I was thinking maybe the R9 250 GPU, but thought that may be too powerful.

Anyone have suggestions? Also, is there a site out there that already has good comparisons like this, because I have quite a few older computers that I would like to do this with.

Thanks!

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Well it depends on the game and the settings. Some games can be incredibly GPU bound. In most cases the GPU will not be able to live close to its full potential. I guess it depends on your budget. You could go a little cheaper, but once you go under $100, performance drops pretty fast as you go cheaper. So, if money isn't a bug issue for you go with the 250. You might find some use for it or migrate it to your next PC or use it as a backup.

baznasty

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Do you think more often than not, it will be overkill though? That's really my only concern. I just want to find the best GPU to go with the CPU, without the GPU, on average, being more powerful than the old CPU. Hope that makes sense.

A too powerful GPU isn't really a problem as you imagine it.
I have a core 2 duo e4600, and I got a GTX650 card. It was a little powerful for my CPU, but it was pretty cheap, and promised a good boost over my old GPU so I got it.
If you find a card that is cheap enough, then get it.(should be around $70-100)
Just don't go for a ddr3 card.

@nikola
The 7750 is a good suggestion.