installed a refurbished graphics card, display keeps turning off

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
just built a new desktop, everything is new in it, except the graphics card, Geforce gtx 670, all the parts i bought fit together. after building it, it started up like a charm but after a few minutes the display went off then i try restarting it and it brings me to a recovery say windows didn't load correctly.
Here are my specs
asus geforce gtx 670-refurbished
asus z87-a mother board
8gb of ram
half tb of memory
650 power supply
intel processer i5

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Just to be sure try running with only the onboard integrated graphics (remove the 670) and see if you don't get this error. You may need to set in bios to use onboard only btw. If that works, shut down, reinstall 670 and see if you can go back into bios and set only gpu for video; save and exit to windows. Allow all drivers to be installed if you haven't got that far. Your screen will flash a few times but should stabilize after a few. Let us know how it goes.

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

If i run the desktop without the 670 it works fine windows starts up, everything goes well. when i put the 670 back in everything, like the fans and lights, works fine but windows says it did not work and bring me to recovery screen. i had some tech people help and and they got it to start up but after a few minutes it just turned off, the display, and after reboot it brings up again that windows cant start. also what are your thought on the power supply, might that be it. everything turns on and runs.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
In terms of watts your psu is good. What brand is it? Some brands run better Amps than others of the same wattage. So, it's good that your system works without the card. Let's try this:
With the card in, cold start your cpu and go to bios. In Bios, if possible disable integrated gpu and turn on only discreet video card gpu (every board is different so the exact words aren't as important as the basic concept of turning on ONLY your 670 whatever the wording is). Save changes and exit to windows. If it fails, we know that the bios setting is correct so restart and go to safe mode for windows. In safe mode, uninstall your gpu drivers, restart, and go back into safe mode. (Please look up how to go into safe mode if you don't know already). Your card should try to take over the display and will flash a few times as it works through the process. It may prompt you to download and install the appropriate drivers; follow this. If you get to completion then something may have interrupted this process before; like an antivirus (actually make sure to have that permanently disabled while we are figuring things out; just remember to turn it back on when we are done!). Hopefully this works. Otherwise, it's most likely you need to replace this gpu. Please let us know how it works out for you! Stay patient and methodical and you'll get there! I think you're getting close! Hang in there, I know it can be very frustrating but find a way to make it fun! Best of luck to you!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Thank for helping Justin,

I have the Rosewill capstone 650w. Once I get into the bios I have no clue how to disable gpu and turn on only discreet video, I have looked up videos on how but the bios they have are way different then what I have. also when I put in 670 the hdmi does not work on the motherboard I have to plug it in the 670 to display why is this?

jnewegger23

Distinguished
The specs on your psu you look decent though I'm not experienced with rosewill that's a good start. Does your onboard mobo have vga? I'd use that or dvi then for troubleshooting. Not sure why the hdmi isn't working. Play with your bios a lot without saving changes and you should find the gpu settings somewhere but if you can't don't stress over it. It's vday and my gf is being a pain so I may not get to you till after this weekend. Sorry, best of luck to you!

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I did what you suggested and it turned on but after i install the drivers it restarts and then does not display anymore then i restarted it again and it brings me to the recovery screen and it keeps doing this.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
So, it's been a few days. To catch up I'm assuming:
1. You're using the vga port now
2. You're anti-virus is turned off
3. You're reinstalling the drivers using safe mode.

If you've forgotten anyone of these things it could halt the process so please try again if you think you forgot. Hopefully I hear back that you're good now. Please keep me posted!

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I reinstalled the drivers using safe mode with everything else. Everything in safe mode works fine it is reading the driver and works fine but when i restart it it brings me into recovery mode.

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I have 8.1 64bit. I have the disk.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
For 8 and 8.1 there is a refresh mode. Perhaps you can try going into safe mode and activating that feature. There may be an issue with your windows that needs to be recovered and I've read that the "refresh" mode on 8 and 8.1 can get your cpu like new without losing your data. Worst case if this works is you may need to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers but may still be good to go. Please research the refresh mode before trying it as I haven't used it myself. And of course ALWAYS backup your data to avoid losing important information BEFORE trying something that could possibly jeopardize it.

Fern1

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Hey Justin! I want to thank you for helping but everything I try is not working so I might send it back and get a new graphics card. In your name you have newegg does this mean you work for newegg? Just wondering you don't have to answer if you don't want to.