Looking for a good cpu

ClintYeastwood

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Well seeing as I'd be investing around $800 - $1000 on the graphics card, i'd say, for a processor, around $300 for a maximum. If it's needed I would spend a bit over.

chikhar

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
The 4770K will last you longer, not in terms of physical lifespan but in terms of "futureproofing". The 4670K is a great CPU that will handle your gaming needs just fine if the 4770K is too expensive for you. Consider an AMD FX processor is cost is a big concern to you. I am not an AMD fan at all. However, those CPU's are really cheap even tho they offer considerably lower performance than the i5 or i7 I mentioned above. Also conseider if you want to OC or not. You can save some money by getting a non "K" i5 processor.

ClintYeastwood

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

Gaming.

quad777

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Not an AMD fan at all, so im not going to speak about them, the 4770 is a great option if you not looking to clock the CPU or if you are looking to clock just get the 4770k as RobCrezz mentioned

genz

Distinguished
Toms Hardware is quite Intel biased, but at the $300 price point, I would recommend the same. AMD have far superior offerings to Intel further down the price range but Intel rules at the top.

Make sure you buy an aftermarket cooler if you don't want it to fry. The 4th Gen Intel coolers are so bad it's criminal, and can't keep your chip below dangerous temperatures if you plan to game, even if you don't do anything like overclocking.

ClintYeastwood

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
To be honest, I don't plan on overclocking at all. And it seems that I will be aiming for a i7 4770k. I don't know if this is the right thread to be asking, but could anyone point me in the right direction of a motherboard compatible and suitable with these components?

ClintYeastwood

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Thank you so much for the help, and power supply? I'm pretty sure not any will do. Is there a certain power supply I'm gunna need to run this rig?

chikhar

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Corsair VS 650

Cheap
Will run your all your components

NB: Dont use this power supply if you plan on crossfire later. This PSU has a 1x(6+2) PCIe connector

Go overkill on the PSU, that way, it's easy to expand your rig and it gives you options (such as Crossfire) that you may want in the future. Also check the ampere on the +12V rail, some PSUs will advertise huge wattages which don't deliver what they say. Nearly every component in your rig will use the +12V rail so that's where you want your ampere/wattage to be. The easy way to calculate true wattage is to do the calculation ampere x volt = wattage. My PSU is a Corsair CX750; 62A on the +12V rail, meaning it has a true wattage of 744W. I'd also suggest you avoid a PSU with two +12V rails, as the power is split and this can cause complications with power delivery. Stick to a single rail for simplicity's sake.

logainofhades

Titan

Save more and get the Xeon 1230 v3 over the 4770. That extra 100mhz and useless IGP isn't worth $54 premium. :D

chikhar

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Its not a good idea to go overkill on a PSU. PSU's deliver their greatest efficiency at 50 - 60% load. Prepare for the future, yes... Im not saying cut it fine. Im just saying overkill is not a good idea with PSU's. Your calculation is wrong. P=VI applies to AC RESISTIVE and DC loads only. Circuitry in PC's are not purely resistive due to power factor adjustments being made by capacitors and induction coils.

@ClintYeastwood... I suggest you use coolermasters PSu calculator (google it). Select 100% TDP and then add say 100W to that to be safe.

Thanks

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yup, agreed. Does seem to depend on the country on how much cheaper it is though.