Hello all,

I have a weird request. Before I start, here are the specs of my current rig:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
CPU: Intel i7 - 4770k 3.5GHZ
Ram: 32GB 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 pro
HDD: 7.2k 2tb Samsung spinpoint
Mobo: Asus Z87-Deluxe socket 1150

Everything is standard retail speeds - I know absolutely nothing about overclocking but I am willing to learn if needed.

Essentially I'm a third year game's programmer student about to transition into my master's year. For my master's dissertation, I plan to create a real time ray tracer (obviously with some graphical hacks to get it to run in real time, sacrificing some visual aesthetics).

To run optimally (I'm aiming for 20FPS >) I'm gonna need a beast of a machine. Even if I don't succeed in getting to the 20FPS, at least I'll have some very good statics / performance analysis to discuss, and even though it was a failure, I can document it all. I just need to give myself the "best shot" as possible.

Looking at my rig, it's pretty obvious it's being held down by my GPU, and a lot of the ray tracer will be running on the GPU so I need a good card to be able to run this.

What would you guys suggest? I have an absolute maximum budget of £1000, but I'd like to come out without spending my entire budget. I'm considering waiting until the 800 series with rumours of it hitting this quarter. I'm starting work on the engine now, but I won't be doing performance analysis until November (ish) time later this year.

Do you think it'd be worth waiting for the 800 series to drop, going with SLI 780 or grabbing a 780 gtx ti? I'm kind of lost when it comes to hardware. I can optimise the hell out of my engine but unless I have the power behind it to back it up, my efforts will be wasted as I'll never hit my target framerate.

I'm also planning on using some CUDA technology, so I'll need to run this on a NVIDIA card.

TLDR: Need powerful GFX card for real time ray tracer I'm writing. What do you suggest?

Quote:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before November 2014 BUDGET RANGE: >£1000

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Real time ray tracer engine

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 570GTX - corsair 750W modular

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: 4770k i7 CPU, Asus Z87-Deluxe Mobo, 32 GB 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: EBuyer.co.uk

PARTS PREFERENCES: Must be NVIDIA (using CUDA tech)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: N/A

Cheers guys, sorry for long post

-freddukes
February 16, 2014 3:56:36 PM

Bump - Anyone got any suggestions? If no-one thinks otherwise I think I'll just go with 780SLI.
!