Does 64 bit software use more CPU than 32 bit?

linux-user

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I'm picking out a new processor and motherboard for my first self built computer. I'm wondering if I use the Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz and two sticks of 4GB DDR3 SDRAM if it will run real smooth and stay smooth for at least a few years?

Also; I use Arch Linux (fully customized) with a very light setup and do no gaming, just audio recording and video editing. And I know everyone says you need a top of the line CPU and a ton of RAM to do video editing, but right now I have an old Dell with an Intel Pentium 4 and 512MB of RAM and can do pretty decent video editing and exporting on this basically obsolete computer...

I need some alternate perspective with all of this, any thoughts?

ahmeday2012

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
64 bit os doesn't apply on performance. It is just a feature that lets you use and install more programs and hardware that relies on 64bit os. It is better than 32 bit.
For example you rams. 32 bit can support up to 4gb ram space, so if you use two 4gb ram, the os will only show 4gb it won't show 8gb because 4gb is its limit. The 64 bit os can handle up to 128gb ram or more. Thats why.
You should install a 64bit os.
Hope that helps