Need help deciding between Kaveri or 4th Gen Intel for budget build. (LONG POST)

MisterStos

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Hello there! I've been reading a fair bit around but couldn't find anything that would answer my doubts.

I'm trying to build a low-cost, casual gaming computer. I don't intend on video editing or anything of the sort. Since I am on a budget of about SGD$1000 (Or around USD $800/GBP 480/Euro 580), I was trying to decide on getting the new Kaveri APU or get an Intel CPU with discrete graphics. Of course, the less I spend the better. Peripheral cost and OS/MS Office is not included.

There are some catches with each option. I'll start with my problems with Kaveri and address Intel later.

I would probably get this set-up if I were to get the Kaveri. I will likely overclock it, but I'll need some help with that and may only do that later on.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Syu3
COST w/o case (SGD) CM 212: 870
COST w/o case (SGD) H80i: 960
Problems with this is that where I live (Singapore), stores don't usually carry 8GB RAM at 2133 or 2400 mHz. They only carry 16GB. I am however excluding the GPU because I would likely save up more so that I can get a stronger GPU like the R9 280 or something like that later on. Will the APU bottleneck the GPU? I do take note that there's a Hybrid CrossFire option with the R7 cards but as far as I am aware, there are issues and it doesn't actually add that much to performance. I'm also undecided on whether to use the Hyper Cooler 212 or a H80i, but I'm not so sure which would be better if I decide to OC the APU.

As for Intel, I'm looking at something like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Sz5P
COST w/o case (SGD): 1055
My worries for this build is that I may not be able to get a good, hopefully future-proof (not necessarily ULTRA EVERTHING) GPU, when I could save the money this time, and compile more to buy a better one later. I am mainly worried that there would be too much money on the CPU/Mobo and I was wondering if I should shift the budget around to get a better GPU.

Some things I think are worth noting:

• My first build!
    Parents aren't at all keen on buying online. Beats me why, but despite finding other means to do so they won't budge there.
    Not too sure of the secondhand parts scene of Singapore, but with my research there isn't too much there..
    Planning to go mATX because I was hoping the computer won't take too much space and I don't think I would need all those expansion slots anyway.
    Hopefully have a slot for PCI Wireless Router, can't use Ethernet.
    I like to play FPS games like CS and Hitman and the occasional racing game or MMORPG but I don't ever play DOTA or anything like that.
    A little partial for ASUS mobos for the UEFI BIOS. :p

Please do leave criticism (be nice please!) and help me make more informed decisions. My deepest apologies for the really long post but I wanted to be thorough with this. I am also kind of open to using 3rd Gen Intel or other AMD CPUs, especially if it's nice on the wallet. :) Other suggestions for builds would be great too! Thank you guys very much for your help! It's much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Danish

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
The Intel by far! Seriously, by faaaaarrr!

If you added a better GPU to the APU in future, you will get frustrated by the APU bottlenecking (except in Mantle, which is only in one game currently). And you can always sell your current GPU on the intel build and get some money back when you decide to get a better GPU.

In the mean time the R9 270 is a nice GPU, and youll get good performance from it.

MisterStos

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

MisterStos

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Ah okay I see. Sorry for seeming like not wanting to let it rest, but I still see Kaveri as a viable option. I understand that it's currently expensive for what you're getting, but could you explain to me whether or not Mantle will help it? As for now, as far as I understand it, it may not be very much help considering not many games utilise Mantle. However it can help by removing some of the workload from the CPU and shift it to the GPU, correct? Will that affect the viability and power consumption of the Kaveri, making it more competitive for Intel? Or does it not matter since most of the AMD GPUs are making use of Mantle anyway?