WRT54Gl gaming settings

jeboots

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
I'm looking to get the max speed from my WRT54Gl (Linksys G Router). Are there certain settings that I should set, enable or disable to maximize this router?

ALSO I'm using a Netgear Wireless Adapter (WNA3100) on my desktop, same thing, are there settings that I should have set to get the best speed?
Thank you for your help.

For gaming speed means very little. Games do not use a real lot of bandwidth. Most are well under 500k/sec. Many are under 100k/sec

What is critical is no delays in the data and no data loss. Wireless is horrible for both these because interference from other signals will cause errors which causes data to be resent causing delays and in some cases actual loss. This is why it is recommended not to play interactive games on wireless.

You best bet is to run INSSIDER and try to use a channel with the fewest other devices sharing the radio frequency. Still all you neighbors are doing this too so it may be clear today and bad tomorrow.

If you were to upgrade to a 802.11n router to match your nic card you may get better results. Not so much because there is less interference but because 802.11n can retransmit the data faster causing smaller delays.