• the xeon e3 1245 v3

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • the i7 4770

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
i keep hearing that if you want to comfortably live stream/edit videos you would want to consider 8 core and 6 core cpus' or at least a 4 core cpu with hyper threading so i recently started looking at upgrading my cpu since i want to start streaming on twitch and editing videos more effectively with less lag (that i get a lot of if the video exceeds 8 minutes in Vegas platinum 12) my current rig has an i5 4670k, 16gb hyperx genesis ddr3 1600mhz ram, intel hd graphics (i will be getting an r7 260x very soon) and 2 1440x900 monitors. I understand that the xeon e3 CPU's do not overclock, which is fine by me since I have no plans to over clock my hardware.; anyway I mainly want to know if the xeon e3 1245-v3 is a good choice for what I want to do (which is gaming, editing gameplay videos and live streaming.) or if i should just save up and go with the i7 4770. thanks for the help :)

Anyway, to answer your question, the Xeon would be slightly better value for money ($10).

[strike]Note that it does not have integrated graphics, meaning you would need a dedicated graphics card before you could use it.[/strike] EDIT: I was thinking of the 1240. The 1245 does indeed have integrated graphics, thanks to CTurbo for correcting me.

It also depends whether it's compatible with your motherboard, not all support the xeons. Which motherboard do you have?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The Xeon 1245v3 DOES have integrated graphics. It's HD P4600 is actually a tiny bit better than the regular HD 4600.

The 1245v3 and 4770 are almost exactly the same. The Xeon is cheaper and is the better deal.

Derp! It's the 5 version, you're correct. My bad.

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
i checked my mobo it is compatible

its a Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

i understand a gpu would would help for gaming but i also need to live stream, edit and record with this machine and i was told those where more cpu intensive, and that the gpu is not as important for some of these tasks. but then again i was told this by a friend who's dad said an amd kavari apu and 8gb ram would not be enough to game comfortably at decent settings. so my sources could be incorrect. we even argued that my cpu was the issue for the games i play and a new gpu was not going to help me edit and stream better.

Sure, but the i5 4670k is no slouch. It's one of the best gaming CPUs, and won't perform poorly at all in the other tasks you've mentioned. Sure a hyperthreaded 4 core chip / true 6 or 8 core chip would be ideal but it's not necessary. In your situation I believe a GPU would be ideal.

I guess it also depends on your definition of "comfortably", and it depends on what you're playing/recording/livestreaming. I'd get the GPU first (7870/R9 270 or above) and then see where to go from there. The i5 4670k is a great chip and shouldn't struggle with the tasks you've mentioned.

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
ok thanks ::). i ordered a 2gb sapphire radeon r7 260x OC recently mainly because im on a boudget but also i feel that anything higher would be over kill if im just playing on a 1440x900p monitor. also the editing software i use is sony vegas platinum 12 and when im using it... well lets just say its almost like bad slideshow that is completely out of sync with the audio because its rendering on the timeline soooo slowly...( the video is not exported like that. its only when im editing it in the software. there are also a lot of music clips, video trimming, transitions and effects in my videos to make them more interesting.) and it normally takes about 30+ minutes to export a 10 minute video and about 1.5 hours to export a 40 minute video

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

i don't have enough money for an nvidea card unless i chose to get a gtx-650 and i already ordered a sapphire r7 260x plus i bought my copy of fraps and i dont want that money to go to waste. but thanks for your help :)

Jason Romney

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
i did but the r7 260x was just cheap enough for me to affoard. plus my mobo is better utilized for amd cards and only supports crossfireX if i went with an nvidia card and wanted to increase the power of my pc i would have to sell the nvidea card and get the amd cards i wanted ( i dont plan to crossfire immediately. thats just going to be when i need to push a little more power out of my pc. and maybe when that time comes crossfire will be less of a hassle)