Good idea bad idea, refrigeration integrated water cooling.

Davil

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
So I've become pretty interested in below ambient water cooling and yes I know there is a thread dedicated to it but this is beyond jugs of water, this is a more maintenance free idea. So here is a link to where I want to start.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-Mini-Fridge-Cooler-and-Warmer-Auto-Car-Boat-Home-Office-AC-DC-White/29558128

This little 10"x7" fridge supposedly cools up to 32 degrees below ambient temperature and operates off it's own separate power supply. My thought is that I could pop 2 holes in this thing one in and one out obviously. Put my whole radiator, perhaps two, in it and eliminate radiator fans altogether. It's also small enough to be mounted on top of a case.

Any thoughts?

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
My concerns are about putting holes in it.

Make sure
1) You do not hit any of the cooling elements of the refrigerator when you drill the holes.

and

2) You maintain a seal around the holes. I can't imagine that unit would be able to keep the temperatures you want with a bunch of gaping holes letting in warm air.

Other than that, it sounds like something that could be a lot of fun to try!

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
One thought: Condensation. How are you battling that? Your radiator has tubes connected to it, condensation can travel along those and water inside the computer (outside the tubes) isn't such a good idea.

Davil

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Yes drilling holes in it would be tricky so I would need to try and find a diagram or hope that there isn't anything vital in the sides or top. As far as a seal around the holes I was thinking some kind of plastic screw on coupling and some insulating foam spray to go around the tubing which would need to be on quick disconnects.

I had considered condensation, I'm thinking that it shouldn't cause any unless it's fairly hot and humid because I wouldn't expect the temps to be that cold. But I suppose as a safety precaution some kind of tube wrap would be helpful. Still a potential problem with the water blocks themselves sweating.

The Below Ambient thread does get more interesting later on, he replaces his ice setup with Peltier's.

The main problem with using refrigeration is that they are not designed to combat a constant heat source. It doesn't take much energy to turn ambient air cold and keep it there, it takes plenty to combat a constant 200W of heat being dumped into it. You can burn out the fridge if it isn't designed to handle that load.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

That's a really good point.

Davil

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
That is a good point, the peltier thing though is something I'm not particularly fond of. That's putting something that could potentially cause a fire in your computer so it's not like I could really leave it running all the time without worry. To me that's like leaving the oven on and going on vacation.

I'm now thinking about placing a radiator prior to the fridge as kind of a buffer to even out temps prior to the fridge.

TRENDING THREADS