Having trouble Installing Operating System unto a Used Server!

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I purchased a used server from ebay for about 123 dollars and i am having a tremendous amount of difficulty in loading an OS unto the hard drive.

It's a SuperServer 6015B-Ni / 6015B-NiB with about 16gb ram and twin Intel Xeon quad core processors. It has a 160 gb hdd and is of the self contained blade type!

I have checked out the hardware and it checks out fine but every method i have used to load up a Windows installation has failed.

-USB thumbdrive
-PXE
-Hooking up a dvd drive through the internal cabling
-Hooking up an external floppy drive to load the installation from DOS prompt

As i said nothing is working, i am under the impression that this server is a lemon.

G

Does it give any errors?
What windows are you trying to install?

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I am trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 and there are no errors, the hardware will simply not let me boot from any device i attach to load the installation program.

The Bios log doesn't give any indication of an error, it just tries to constantly use PXE which i am unable to get working on my end. I am just not that good at deployed installs!

I tried hooking up my desktop and the server with a crossover cable but the cable is damaged. Any chance i can use a Router For a direct line so i can do a PXE? Or maybe an alternative to Windows Deployment Services that can be used from within Windows 7 that won't require me to change my Desktop OS?

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Yes that is what i tried, i used a tool to transfer the contents of the windows iso unto the drive and i made it bootable, the server won't even reckognize it when i press f11 to select a boot device but ti shows up in the bios

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
This tool has never given em any problems before int he past and has worked beautifully before, i also tried using a hdd that has a virtual CD-rom

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
ok, ill give it a shot. there are only two though and the device does light up and it shows up in bios just fine but wont let me boot into it.

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
It's not working still, i'm going to try out a different tool and try out other file systems. I have tried NTFS and FAT32, could it be the device is 16 GB

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Ok there's an option in RUFUS that allows for higher compatibility for older bioses, i'm going to give that a shot and see what happens!

Jacob117

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
It seems i had to press (x) in order to move things from the eight boot option to actually place them on the list, so that's why my usb drive never showed up. I am actually installing windows 2008 r2 now!

So i hope this will be saved for those who have issues with a SuperMicro server in the future.