IPS 60hz vs 120hz monitor with 780 Ti?

hawaado

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I'm a complete newbie at this so bare with me. I've got my first rig with a GTX 780 Ti graphics card. I'll be using the PC for gaming/video editing/watching movies, basically just about everything.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and I love quality visuals so would opt for an IPS 60hz monitor under normal circumstances. However, when I will play games the 780 Ti will push above 60fps, and if I have a 60hz monitor, wont this cause screen tearing?

I've heard of V-sync but have heard people say it's nothing compared to having it switched off and having a 120hz monitor instead.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

If you could help me out that would be much appreciated. With a single 780 Ti, should I go for an IPS 60hz or would I be better off with a 120hz monitor?

Thank you in advance.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
This is an entirely subjective decision, no real shortcut. You're going to have to experience both and decide for yourself which one you prefer. I personally don't mind screen tearing one bit, but I also game on a 120hz panel, and occasionally use my nicer looking budget IPS screens for movies/picture viewing/editing. The same may not apply to you.

V-sync has been known to introduce some input lag. Nvidia does have adaptive v-sync which works well enough for me. 120hz monitors also have to sacrifice some color clarity vs. standard 60 tn panels. One other way you can solve your problem is to buy a QHD monitor. The higher resolution will put a greater strain on your GPU thus reducing the tearing. The average 120hz panel is about 250 you can buy budget QHD panels like the one in the link for 350.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY0X59885

Adaptive V-sync is nice, but it does not eliminate the latency from V-sync that occurs when you reach your refresh rate with your FPS in a DirectX game that uses triple buffering.

I personally like 120hz because it reduces total latency, and makes it feel more like my mouse is connected to my view when I'm playing 1st person games. This may require you to reduce a few settings to get the FPS up, but I prefer that added fluidity I get from a high refresh rate without V-sync.

But this is a subjective decision.

hawaado

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I completely understand it's down to personal preference really. I just wanted to know with my graphics card, what I'd be better off having. It's a tough decision!

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Well again, nobody can make that decision for you. You have to try it for yourself to see if you're really ok with having screen tearing on a lower speed monitor. Some people absolutely hate it and avoid 60hz monitors like the plague, some just use Vsync, some just don't care. One monitor you could try is the Eizo Foris FG2421. It's a PVA panel that can do up to 240hz. You can (nearly) have the best of both worlds, superior color and contrast quality than a TN panel, and super fast strobing refresh rate with no motion blur.

That Eizo is really a 120hz monitor, though it may have a double strobing mechanism that makes it sort of like 240hz. It also has much more motion blur than most 120hz TN panels, but the strobing still gives you a unique feel not found without a form of strobing, like Lightboost. The strobing not only reduces motion blur, but it also reduces persistence.

It basically prevents your eyes from being saturated with light, making the images from blurring together in our eyes. With the blacking out the image, the image fades from our eyes before a new image is shown. But the ghosting is still present in that monitor due to the slow response time. It is a good compromise.

hawaado

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I've been doing a little bit more research and have come across people buying Korean monitors at 1440p and attempting to overclock them to 120hz? Obviously that's not the most reliable thing in the world...especially coming from all the way over from Korea. Mixed experiences. Some haven't been happy with the customer service, which is to be expected...but some are absolutely loving their new monitors. Hmmm. I'm not usually one for risking something like that, but with very high recommendations to particular sellers, it's hard to ignore.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I would have to say because you have a GTX 780ti, that is not the right time to be buying a monitor. Maybe a few others mentioned this already in previous posts, but Nvidia is teaming up with manufacturers like ASUS, BenQ, Viewsonic, Acer, AOC, and Phillips to make G-Sync monitors specifically for the GTX cards. If you haven't heard about G-Sync, then if I were you, go google some features it offers because it will make you think twice about your next monitor purchase for sure. These monitors are aimed to release around next month or April which is around the corner. There are no confirmed "IPS" G-Sync monitors as these monitors will be configured for gamers, and not graphic artists and such to cut down costs. I currently use a 1440p IPS monitor and color is like no other, but would not recommend it for competitive gaming, when I play FPS shooters like CS:GO and BF4, I switch to my "TN" 1080p as I average highers kills on that monitor. Hope this explains more, and ask if you have any more concerns. :)

The reason for TN over IPS on these G-sync monitors has been said to be due to response times, and not costs. IPS screens have very low response times. Much more than the 6ms gray to gray times advertised. It is closer to 20ms when going from black to white. At 120hz, refreshes happen every 8ms. That means it takes 2.5 frames before an IPS can change from black to white with an IPS screen. This isn't great for high refresh rates.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

Yep, one day IPS and G-Sync will be possible. But who knows.. Maybe LCD in general will be thrown out the door and we will be using a new technology like OLED.