Installing 2.5in SSD in Desktop

tripod_knight

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hi all,

I have no idea what I need to look for when installing a new HD into my computer. I've got a 240GB Crucial M500 and I'd like to install it in my desktop. What do I need to know before I do this?

My motherboard is only Sata II compatible (Asus P6t SE), my PSU is a 700W XON-700P12N.

Can I just plug it in, format and have it go? Or is there something else I need to consider? I'd rather not fry the drive before getting it to work!

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
You should be fine.
You might need a 2.5 to 3.5" or 5.25" inch drive caddy for it to fit properly in the case.

Defraging the SSD reduces the life span and does little to nothing in increasing performance. disable it.

Also, turn off indexing on the SSD to increase its lifespan.

You will likely want to disable hibernation and delete the hyberfile to rescue much needed space on the SSD.

Also if you have plenty of RAM, you will want to turn off the page file to free up precious SSD space and increase lifespan. (If you need a pagefile, or want one, i recommend putting it on the mechanical hard drive. this will reduce system performance, but free up SSD space and increase its lifespan.)

You have an older motherboard that is no longer in production. Unfortunately it will not properly support modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drives. You'll have to settle for SATA 2 3Gb/s performance. That's really not so bad.

It is neither necessary nor recommended that an ssd be formatted. When you install Microsoft Windows 7 or newer versions it will be taken care of automatically.

Voltage should not be a problem. Your power supply came with several SATA power cables. However, I would be concerned about the overall performance of the psu. It is an old pre 2008 design. You'd better read this technical review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=109

It also made the PSU Lemon list that I maintain. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

Just scroll down to the bottom of the list and you'll see it.