Intel 4670K OC Problem

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I'm having some weird trouble with my i5 4670K. A few weeks ago I got some frame rate issues (which were caused by my really bad placement of the RAM its solved now) and I thought its my CPU's overclock messing with me. So I went to BIOS and defaulted everything, at the end everything worked out, but now I'd like to get my OC back. I got a great stable 4.2gHz at the default Voltages, but now my CPU-Z is showing my CPU only going to 1.7gHz (multiplier is at 17) and the voltages never rise above 0.816V so I thought its the program messing with me, I checked with AI-Suite III (which is really terrible, but it works) and it's giving me the same numbers. ATM my multipliers are at 8-38 but it is still stuck at 0.816V an 1.7gHz. PS, it isn't fixed at 1.7gHz it just is the max for some reason, thought you professionals could help me. Sorry about the long text.

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Some time ago I had trouble with my GPU running at 100% all the time, and someone suggested that I change the Windows power settings, so I did that and now I can reach 3.4gHz (3392.4 exact) but as I said the multiplier is still at 8-38 but my CPU doesn't go to 3.8gHz. Core Voltage is at 1.008.

j5v

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Yes, Windows Power settings.
Try Performance to see if Power settings are causing it.
Balanced should allow it overclocks to work anyway; it tends only to be Power Saver or custom profiles that limit the CPU.

Another aspect is that for single-threading, Windows passes the thread around all the cores, so you don't achieve the default 'single core boost' of 3.8GHz; it sticks to 3.4GHz. To achieve 3.8GHz or more, you might have to clock all cores the same. More: johnvalentine.co.uk/index.php?art=4670k

TRENDING THREADS