Looking for advise on a new gaming rig

Lostredneck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
The motherboard on my previous system started dropping ports then flat out died on me. Its an old first gen i7 system so I felt like it was time to do a fresh build.

Usually I like to go WAY overboard on my builds bordering on the ridiculous so this time I wanted to tone it down and build something that was still fast, but not stupidly so. There are some parts out of my old build I could use like the 1300 watt PSU and the full tower case, but I want a completely fresh start.

I came up with http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TcMB

I know that a few of my parts are still a little overboard such as the CPU and the PSU. The CPU I did because I enjoy playing a lot of dumb little flash games that render through the CPU instead of taking advantage of the video card.. The PSU I chose because of expandability. I may want a 2nd video card to run in SLI in the future.

I am mostly concerned with my choices in video card and ram. I don't know how I feel about mixing a EVGA video card with a MSI motherboard and if I should go with a higher quality of RAM.

The reason I went with the MSI, EVGA combo in this build is because the MSI equivalent video card has some pretty rough reviews, and my previous motherboard that crapped out on me was EVGA.

bfitzpatrick

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
That is a great system. Only thing is that you got two different series kits of memory. Your GPU and motherboard look fine, but if you want to be on the safe side, I would recommend an ASUS board.

Lostredneck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

Sorry about 2 types of memory, I'm new to using this part picker thing so I couldn't figure out how to remove one of them. I was looking at the Asus Maximus VI Hero board along with the MSI board but the MSI won me over by having a Qualcom Killer NIC built in.

Lostredneck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
8 no 16 yea. I couldn't figure out how to remove the other set of memory I had put in there.

bfitzpatrick

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

To remove an item, click on "edit" and click "remove" next to the memory you don't want.