PC won't display with R9 270.

drakesaint

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014
Got a new PC with a 750w PSU. The GPU is a Radeon R9 270, and it worked perfectly on VGA monitors. Problem is that after installing DirectX pre-11 the GPU isn't being detected by VGA adaptors anymore.

The GPU powers up correctly, and the PC works perfectly with on-board graphics, but if I try to connect the GPU with a DVI->VGA adaptor to a VGA monitor, it won't display. I've tried going to the BIOS and modifying it to give priority to the PCI-E, but nothing.

Solution
One answer may be that the integrated bios does not allow the two video cards to be running simultaneously. That was the issue with my xps 8500 for the longest time. Try disabling the integrated graphics through the bios and that should solve the problem. Another resolution may be that the gpu is not configured correctly so that the video card is not getting the proper amount of power. My computer has the 7870 hawk, and it will have stuff powerup and the fans spin and all, but it will not boot until it has enough power, similar to your situation because the 270=7870. A final answer may be that your motherboard does not support the card. This is a rare occurrence so try updating your bios if nothing else works.
Does it show the BIOS at all or let you get into the BIOS while plugged into the card? If not, then it has nothing to do with drivers or directX as the BIOS loads without a harddrive or windows.

If it does work in the BIOS, and starts loading windows, then it's a driver issue.

Fishwithadeagle

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
One answer may be that the integrated bios does not allow the two video cards to be running simultaneously. That was the issue with my xps 8500 for the longest time. Try disabling the integrated graphics through the bios and that should solve the problem. Another resolution may be that the gpu is not configured correctly so that the video card is not getting the proper amount of power. My computer has the 7870 hawk, and it will have stuff powerup and the fans spin and all, but it will not boot until it has enough power, similar to your situation because the 270=7870. A final answer may be that your motherboard does not support the card. This is a rare occurrence so try updating your bios if nothing else works.

Solution