[Build help] Fractal R4/Z87-A Mobo, it's Almost Finished but has Couple of Problems

scifa

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hello,

I completed building my first PC, but before I risk turning it on I wish to clarify some issues. Here are some relevant photos:

http://imgur.com/a/K4ukH

(1) Apart from the 24pin mobo connector, the PSU - Seasonic 620W - also has two other cables directly linked to it (all others cables are optional).

Two 4pin cables (EPS12V) (photo 1)

One 8pin cable (EPS12V) (photo 2)

The latter, I assume, goes into the 8pin EATX12V slot on the mobo (photo 3), which is an Asus Z87-A. What about the former?

(2) The Asus Z87-A mobo shipped with just two SATA III cables (photo 6). But I have an SSD, HDD, and CD-ROM to connect. I was under the impression they usually shipped 6 six cables.

Why so few? Don't they know that most people nowadays have a CD-ROM, an SSD, and one or two HDD's?

Should I just connect the SSD and the CD-ROM (to install Windows/drivers), and order a third SATA III cable online to connect the HDD later?

Also, the HDD's back, apart from the power and SATA slots, also has an 8pin connector. AFAIK this is outdated and can be left alone/unconnected?

(3) In general, do there appear to be any critical errors/issues in the photos of the front and back of the build? (photo 4, photo 5)

Thank you all for your input!

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I think the 2 x 4 pins are the motherboard power connectors and the 8pin is a GPU (6+2) power cable. Check if that one can split into a 6 pin and 2 pin.

I think the majority of people only have 1 hard drive and a cd drive or a hard drive and ssd, but like you I usually have 3. And yes to what you said, or you can just put one to the Cd drive when setting it up and then after everything is installed you can attach it to the hdd and wait to attach the cd drive until you get another one.

scifa

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks!

No, the 8pin is one piece. A couple of other people (one on Reddit, one on Facebook) told me that either can be used.

The build is up and working BTW. Everything's fine, except that the two fans plugged into the case aren't turning (the one fan that is plugged to the mobo's CHA_FAN is running).

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
That might be because some motherboards have 2 8pin power connectors, and some have only 1 4 pin. That psu probably just has you covered for all option and has an extra cable for that.

I just learned this and thought of this thread.