ASUS Z87-Pro Thunderbolt error & other weird behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

nite244

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
I'm having a bunch of intermittent issues with my Asus Z87-Pro motherboard since my upgrade. The background is I needed to upgrade a second computer, so I handed down my Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 and i7-2600k to the second computer and upgraded my main computer with an Asus Z87-Pro and i7-4770k - all other components are the same, including memory and video card. And here's where my issues started.

Upon booting, I will randomly get a Thunderbolt error message:

The memory address is insufficient due to Intel Thunderbolt resource consumption.
The onboard Thunderbolt is now disabled for better system resource allocation.
Strongly suggest to press F1 to enter BIOS setup and manually disable unused I/O peripheral controllers. (Recommended items: SATA/LAN/Wi-Fi/Thunderbolt controller.)
Press F1 to Run SETUP

I will also intermittently get where the computer boots for 2-5 seconds upon power up, then power off and then power on / boot up again and sometimes give me the above error, other times fully boot into Windows.

I have tried reseating my video card, but no change to the situation at this point. I've tried various other methods mentioned in the various posts I've found around the internet, but nothing seems to work.

Currently, here is the best config I've found, but it's less than ideal:

- BIOS 1707
- Change PCIE speed from Gen3 to Gen2

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX670 video card, which again worked great in my other Asus motherboard, but appears to be problematic in the Z87-Pro.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks for your help!

northspoon

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I have had similar problems for a few weeks, see here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2011144/problem-graphics-card-work.html#12605163

I have managed to get rid of that error message for the moment by RMAing the MSI R9 270X in favour of a GTX 660. But I also need to run the GTX 660 at the same time as having the Intel 4600 active for Quicksync use for video work.

Today I re-installed Windows 7 with the latest updates, latest MB drivers and nothing else. When I first selected to use the iGPU and GTX 660 in BIOS, Windows would not load. I had to switch off Bluetooth and LAN controllers in BIOS.

Not confident that the system is stable. Surely you shouldn't have to turn off things in BIOS just to get the graphics to work?

Asus support (?) have suggested that the MB might be faulty....but I am still not sure what is causing this.

I am not using the PC for games and not even tried overclocking yet until things settle down.

nite244

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

Thanks for the feedback northspoon.

I agree you shouldn't need to disable items in the BIOS just to get the graphics card to work - I've done it anyway, as I don't like a bunch of extra stuff running just for the sake of it when I'm not using it. So I've disabled the second SATA controller, Bluetooth, onboard Audio, Wifi, etc. Not sure if it's relevant to the issue, but since I don't need them, no point in having them enabled in my scenario.

I also found some posts relating to the Power Supply - something I hadn't thought of. I am currently running an "older" Corsair TX750 power supply, which I would hope is enough for all I have (GTX 670, SSD, HD and not much else). I did see it mentioned that Haswell has a bunch of new lower power states that are not always compatible with older power supplies. May or may not have something to do with the funky power up sequence when I boot the computer after being off for a while.

I have also disabled the C7 state in BIOS, which seems to help the intermittent issue I have where the computer won't always wake properly from sleep. Disabling C6 seemed to cause the Nvidia driver to crash after login, so not sure how that's related (I'm sure someone knows why).

So far this system is stable with the graphics card in PCIE 2.0 mode (or Gen2 as the BIOS calls it), but I hate to leave it there, as eventually I'll hit a game or something that will need all the bandwidth PCIE 3.0 / Gen3 can offer.

PoticusATX

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hey,
So this may be late but I totally had the same issue and figured it out!
In the BIOS, under SATA controllers - The HD was selected as "disabled"... Essentially, the only thing I have plugged in the SATA ports are the HD and ports 2-9 or w/e should be disabled as there is nothing in them. I "enabled" the SSD and BOOM! Been running for about a half hour, I have restarted it multiple times and am seemingly installing all of the appropriate Windows/ASUS/NVIDIA drivers with absolutely no problem. PHEW!
Hope this helps you and anyone who runs into this issue moving forward - disable any SATA ports that are unused and enable the ones that are. Seems easy enough - only took two days to figure it out! Best of luck!

nite244

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

thanks for the feedback PoticusATX - I tried your suggestions, but in my particular case, it didn't resolve things, but it was certainly worth trying.

looking through other random forums, it was mentioned to look at all cards you have plugged into any of your PCIe slots. I then realized I had an older Asus Xonar PCIe soundcard installed, that while working correctly, after further investigation, was sharing IRQs and who knows what else with the video card. As the card is probably already end of life (or will be soon), I removed it and enabled onboard sound. The system feels betters and seems to have less issues. I may look at a different sound card in the future, but for now onboard works.

I still found I needed to have CAS7 disabled otherwise I would get issues where the system would not come out of sleep mode. Not sure if this is the video card, but I do wonder about that. I do once in a while (rare, but happens) where the video card drivers will crash, so I may need to replace this Nvidia GTX670 video card at some point (trying to wait until the next generation of cards come out so it's more than a one generation upgrade).

good luck to anyone else having issues with this platform

cyberclu

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
I know this is really late to this thread, but I think I've finally solved the problem, as I was still having this issue, even when trying everything everyone suggested here.
Found it on Page 126 of the pdf manual:
"Wait for 'F1' If Error [Enabled]"
[Disabled] Disables the function
[Enabled] The system waits for the <F1> key to be pressed when the error occurs.

This is enabled by default, so I just clicked disable, and so far, I haven't run into this issue anymore. And for good measure I also changed the
"Option Rom Messages [Force BIOS]" default setting of :
[Force BIOS] The third-party ROM messages will be displayed during the boot sequence.,
to
[Keep Current] The third-party ROM messages will be displayed only if the third-party manufacturer had set the add-on device to do so.
Hope that helps those that are still rocking this motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.