Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you work in IT/Networking with a BS in Computer Science?

Last response: in Work & Education
February 15, 2014 6:24:04 PM

I want to work in Networking, like as a Network Technicial or Admin, etc. If i decide to f*ck trade school or private university for Information Systems, and i go to a State college instead to get a BS in Comp. Science, will i be able to work in Networking and IT? I am wary of getting a degree in CS, because all they teach in that is how to code and sh*t, and i dont want to be a programmer or software/hardware engineer- I want to upkeep and build networks like LAN and WAN, and everything else about Networking. But if i did go to State college and got a BS in CS, how would i learn all the stuff about advanced networking?

Please leave any feedback and help. Thanks!

Best solution

February 16, 2014 8:01:02 PM

I work with servers & and a few networks right now. I have a bachelor's degree in International Affairs but have some experience along with certs. With that being said, I think a bachelor's degree is very important in terms of opening doors; especially one relating to computers. I just started taking college classes to potentially earn a B.S. in CS as a second degree, but it's ridiculously difficult while working full-time and dealing with family obligations. I'd prefer to be in a Computer Engineering or CIS/MIS program is I were you since you're not concerned with programming. While going to school, I'd work part-time at a computer-related store or even help desk at school if possible. Once you're into your sophomore year with a few computer credits under your belt, you can apply for internships with local companies or one far away if the opportunity is big enough. You're really going to need experience to get into networking so getting an internship as a college student can be a major option; especially since network admin/technician is not necessarily entry level; you'd start off as help desk or desktop support without any experience, which will be doable during college. Also, get A+ and Network+ certified while in school to open more doors to those entry level jobs as a student.

At least, that's what I would do if I was 18 again. Also, keep in mind that many networking jobs also require or prefer a computer-related bachelor's degree.
February 16, 2014 9:20:49 PM

EthanPark said:
I work with servers & and a few networks right now. I have a bachelor's degree in International Affairs but have some experience along with certs. With that being said, I think a bachelor's degree is very important in terms of opening doors; especially one relating to computers. I just started taking college classes to potentially earn a B.S. in CS as a second degree, but it's ridiculously difficult while working full-time and dealing with family obligations. I'd prefer to be in a Computer Engineering or CIS/MIS program is I were you since you're not concerned with programming. While going to school, I'd work part-time at a computer-related store or even help desk at school if possible. Once you're into your sophomore year with a few computer credits under your belt, you can apply for internships with local companies or one far away if the opportunity is big enough. You're really going to need experience to get into networking so getting an internship as a college student can be a major option; especially since network admin/technician is not necessarily entry level; you'd start off as help desk or desktop support without any experience, which will be doable during college. Also, get A+ and Network+ certified while in school to open more doors to those entry level jobs as a student.

At least, that's what I would do if I was 18 again. Also, keep in mind that many networking jobs also require or prefer a computer-related bachelor's degree.

Totally agree with all that. I did not know that most CSU's offer BS Information Systems degrees, so im going to go after that degree. Im going to most likely now go to a State college for a BS in Inf. Sys., intern while in college(a lot of people say to intern with the IT dept. of the college youre going to), get certs, etc. I actually plan on getting my A+ cert before even enrolling in college lol.

Please go to this link, this is where im getting all of my help right now. It'll have you on the same page and everything. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040632007&posted...
m
l
!