/ Sign-up
Your question

Can someone please explain these connectors to me.

  • Monitors
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
February 15, 2014 7:39:17 PM

i just want to know if they are different at all. Why does the 1 on the bottom have the 4 boxes.

More about : explain connectors

Best solution

a c 124 C Monitor
a c 231 U Graphics card
February 15, 2014 7:45:12 PM

The top one is a Dual Link DVI-D. This means it can only do digital video, to a screen that takes a DVI (or HDMI, with a passive adapter) port.

The lower one is DVI-I, so can be either digital or analog video. You can connect it to a DVI or HDMI screen, or use an adapter to connect it to a VGA screen.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a c 221 U Graphics card
February 15, 2014 7:46:21 PM

The top connector is a DVI-D Dual link connector, the bottom one is a DVI-I dual link connector. DVI-I supports both DVI-A(analog) and DVI-D(digital), the extra 4 pins provide for the analog signal, the DVI-D connector only supports digital output, you cannot put a DVI to VGA adapter on there as it doesn't have the proper outputs.
February 15, 2014 7:47:21 PM

Thanks alot to everyone, Tomshardware users extremely helpful, as always :D  !