Dell Alienware M17X R4 Customer/Tech Service Issues (Repeatedly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Hi guys. I've been a long-time visitor of this site for many situations dealing with tech recommendations (and random tidbits); even seasoned IT co-workers of mine always like the site as a quick reference at times.

Anyway, my Dell Alienware M17X R4 Laptop (purchased factory refurbished from the Dell Site about $1350 with 30% off rebate offer during the July 4th sale) in July of last year (2013) has been giving me issues since November.

1. The audio & wireless NIC stopped being detected at the same time in November, so I had to contact Dell to resolve the issue (I work in IT, but refuse to open up something I purchased to fix it to avoid any warranty issues; especially when I suspected hardware issues). The technician came (I had to take a bit of time off of work that day since they only visit during regular business hours) and spent 3-4 hours trying to change the wireless NIC & audio.

2. After he left (and took a $5 tip, which I later found out wasn't allowed), I noticed that he had not even put the laptop cover back with the bottom flapping a bit... AND the webcam was no longer being detected. I had to call Dell again and tell them about the issue. I had to take a day off of work again where the technician replaced the entire screen because the webcam shares the came connection with it; it did not resolve the issue, and he called Dell to let them know (we both agreed that it was probably the MoBo). They asked me to send my laptop to the Dell facilities to get it serviced there. There goes 1-2 hours off of work to drop the package off at their selected postal provider.

3. They send it back quickly, at least; however, they didn't install the some crucial drivers & forgot to activate Windows 8 for my computer since you obviously have to reattach an OS license when you swap MoBo... I called Dell and the tech support rep didn't seem to understand the situation for half an hour when I was explaining what they probably did wrong, which he finally verified after getting info from their "engineers". He called Microsoft with me to resolve the issue with another license or to attach it to the new MoBo. They weren't able to activate my Windows, so they sent another technician over with a new MoBo once again (this time, I couldn't ask for another day off just for this, so I asked for a family member to be there for the tech). When I got home, the laptop was on the user log-in screen. I took a look and it seemed fine until....

4. I turned the laptop off and closed it. When trying to open the laptop again, I realized that the casing for the screen was either broken or not re-installed properly as the case simply peeled back from the LCD screen (i could actually see the internal components of the LCD along with wires). AND the laptop didn't turn on at all. I tried it plugged in, unplugged, plugged in with the battery off, and with the power button + fn method. Nothing. No sign of power at all... I called Dell once again (I've been VERY polite & thanked each person I talked to for their help each time until now). My voice was agitated (I did not raise my voice or insult anyone) and told the rep that I wasn't upset at them and that they did nothing wrong; but that I was very upset with the service & trouble I was going through for something I paid a lot for. I had to take a few hours off of work mid-day and send my laptop off again to have it serviced. Keep in mind that I'm an Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) and a Microsoft Certified Trainer with a one Office 2013 license and one Visio 2013 license that I used for my laptop; I'm not sure if I can get them back when calling Microsoft since they special licenses.

5. I received my laptop in the mail and it seemed to finally be okay when I used it for the first time yesterday although it was running very sluggish. (The records also only show that they replaced the wireless NIC & "Other" to fix my laptop.) All I installed on this laptop to avoid issues during the first week was Skype & Google Chrome along with a few screenshots pasted onto a Wordpad document to record online notes I was going over. Today, my laptop seemed to be running a bit slower than yesterday and my Google Chrome shutdown due to "low memory" (all I had running on my computer was Chrome with about 10-12 tabs open with gmail, indeed job posts) with 11 of 12 GB of ram being used up... I made sure to restart my laptop just in case & no updates are needed because I had already run the basic Windows system update. My memory is still running a bit high with no web browser running (I also had the only other program I had installed, Skype, off and disabled from startup) at about 3-4GB out of 12GB being used up and my CPU is running at 100%.

None of these are isolated incidents. This was all happening right after they touched my device after my audio & wireless NIC malfunctioned. I've taken 2 days off work for tech visits, asked a family member to come by to be there for me, spent several hours to ship my laptop off twice, and several hours on the phone to resolve this. I'm getting ready to call them again and I know they'll just give me the same response that I've gotten the last 5-6 times that they will send someone over or that for me to send it to them again. I don't even want this product anymore since I can't even trust them or this laptop to work past a month even after they "fixed" it. I seriously just want a refund (or credit) and to forget about this experience.

What do you guys think? I'm ready to go off on them (without profanity, etc of course) because of them wasting my time & energy with a horrendous product & repair service; and basically selling me something that doesn't work. Would you guys call them and take another day off work to get this "serviced" for the 6th time... or is this when I should be demanding my money back?

Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to provide enough information.

EDIT: As soon as I submitted this, I looked at my system performance. The CPU is still showing up as running at 100% capacity and now the memory is running at around 92% of the 12GB again with around 1GB of free RAM... I only have this 1 tab (tomshardware) running.

Solution
my asus laptop is one of the multimedia ones and isnt really a gaming model per say (it has a solid mid level mobile gpu) and its been completely rock solid. honestly the only thing i dont like is that it has a tn panel (god i hate tn panels) and it isnt 1080p. other than that i thought it was well worth the price i paid for it.

my brother has the massive g75. honestly it is pretty impressive. the screen is great as well. of course it comes with a slow hard drive (but almost all laptops do) which would need a ssd upgrade but for $1000 for a gaming laptop it does quite well. the 670mx at the time was the second best single card gpu to buy at the time though of course now its replaced by a 7xx series. the only real issues i have with it...
since you work in IT i'm sure you already checked this...

but is there a virus/trojan infestation? things like the blaster32 worm were well known to cause such system slowdowns.

with all that trouble... i'd be ready to go off on them too. honestly that is why i would never buy a dell.

one final note.. in performance manager... what is using all of those cpu cycles and ram? by chance it is not "system idle process" correct?

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah. Although it is highly unlikely since I just got the computer back from Dell (fully wiped) and had barely done anything, I still performed a full system scan along with a disk & memory consistency check using Linux Parted Magic. The biggest memory & CPU hog are integrated services and none of them were anything suspicious. The interesting thing is that the processes for the CPU shows up as using up very little processing power; yet, the CPU usage remains at 100%. Within a period of 2-3 hours, my web browser (chrome) crashed three times (froze several times as well) with the prompt that my system was at maximum memory capacity followed by the browser crashing. Not system idle process, and I made sure to go through all services to turn off non-critical processes. Still no good.

I doubt there is a clear solution to this aside from physically taking the laptop apart myself, which I refuse to do since I shouldn't have to. I guess I'm trying to see if I'm overreacting or if my plan to demand my money back is reasonable with what I've been experiencing.

I knew I should have gone with an MSI or Razerblade.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

edit: By the way, WOW. Nice anime collection.

i'm right there with you. if it was my own laptop i'd be ready to throw it at them. i doubt they will want to give you a refund HOWEVER you could persue the lemon law. however before you did that i would like to ask: did you try a full wipe on your own, reinstalling windows (after a full format) followed by installing drivers manually? (not sure how easy it is to get the drivers from dells website..)

i honestly would suggest asus laptops. i own one (i7+gt540m), my mother owns one (i3 integrated) and my brother just bought one (i7+670mx) and they are all in good working order. we had a little bit of driver issues with the i3 but nothing too serious. the others work just great. i replaced the drive in my own with a 256gb ssd and it boots in 6 seconds flat. of course the first thing i did was reinstall windows to get rid of all the crapware you dont need.

thanks. i've been collecting for years. would you happen to be a collector or viewer as well? if so send me a pm i'm always up for discussion. and check out the "anime suggestion" thread in the /entertainment/ subsection.

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
A small update on the situation. I called Dell during my lunch break on Monday and the first tech support agent actually might have hung of up on me when I was expressing my frustration over the issue. I didn't raise my voice, use profanity, or even insult anyone; I even told him that I'm not upset with him but that I have to address my issues with the horrible service.

I called again and we went through another diagnostics together which suddenly showed a video fan error. We reflashed the BIOS and updated all the drivers (although I could tell that the version was the same as the one they had installed before I received it last week...). After restarting it, the CPU was at a normal 10%ish use with about 2.5 of 12GB being used. I felt sort of stupid that it was that simple of an issue although I did go over everything.... then I got off the phone and the CPU went back up to 100% and memory use was steadily going up and stayed steady at around 5-6GB with nothing running but Citrix's GoToAssist page that Dell used to remotely assist me. I called again.... and the other tech spent almost 2 hours with me shutting off each service 1 by 1 to isolate the issue. We weren't able to identify the problem AND I didn't forget about the video card fan failure that failed both times i had tested it with two separate Dell agents... I expressed how upset I was again and said that only a manager could help me since I'm not happy and that I couldn't go through this for a 8th or 9th time for the same thing. He alerted the manager to have me called today morning or 3:00PM by the latest. I provided 2 reliable phone numbers & my email; It's 6PM and nothing has happened. I wrote a very strong email to Dell regarding my experience and my demand for resolution to this issue to avoid escalation of the situation to corporate or even having to exercise my legal rights using the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act via legal mediation or civil suit.

As you can see, I'm far from being a happy customer now. ugh...

ssddx: I was giving strong considerations for getting an ASUS RoG since they are a better deal and seem to be sturdier; not to mention, not having bent me over. I was even considering the 14inch Razerblade (not the pro) since I already have a desktop with an i7 Haswell CPU & 32 (8x4) GB 1600Mhz RAM. If only those manufacturers would bring GPU prices back down.... : x

Update: 2/21/14
So, I called Dell again on Thursday morning since I didn't receive a reply to my email nor did I get a the supervisor phone call that I was promised.

The next guy promised that I would receive a call in a few hours, and I still did not receive one.

I called again and the next representative told me that the supervisor had informed him that he wasn't able to call me until later that night or the next day.

I received an email last night to provide information on the issue & what I would am requesting.

I received a call an hour ago from the supervisor apologizing for Dell having dropped the ball on this and that he would have his team contact me asap on processing a replacement with his personal contact in case I'm not satisfied.

I'll add a final update once this is all resolved!

my asus laptop is one of the multimedia ones and isnt really a gaming model per say (it has a solid mid level mobile gpu) and its been completely rock solid. honestly the only thing i dont like is that it has a tn panel (god i hate tn panels) and it isnt 1080p. other than that i thought it was well worth the price i paid for it.

my brother has the massive g75. honestly it is pretty impressive. the screen is great as well. of course it comes with a slow hard drive (but almost all laptops do) which would need a ssd upgrade but for $1000 for a gaming laptop it does quite well. the 670mx at the time was the second best single card gpu to buy at the time though of course now its replaced by a 7xx series. the only real issues i have with it are the keyboard (i dont like chiclet keys.. i like scissor switches which my own laptop has), the integrated subwoofer is stupid and it comes with windows 8 (which i abhor). the smaller version of the laptop was about $100-200 cheaper if i remember and had most of the specs just a single hdd bay not two.

dont you just love when a business shrugs you off? (sarcasm). if they promised to call you they should have called you.

you never did say if you attempted a complete reinstall after a full hdd format on your own or not.

not sure how they will react to that strong email and mention of the civil suit but be aware that mention of such things means that their legal team may need to become involved which can complicate or slow things down. i understand why you said it (to force a response) but just saying it might slow things to a crawl.

Solution

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

After another month of emails & phone conversations, I've received a complete exchange to my laptop.
They sent me a new Alienware M17x R5 because they didn't have any of the R4s in stock to my specification.
Specs:
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ processor (Overclocked) (8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
17.3" 120Hz WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife Display w/3D Bundle
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5
16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8G)
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW)

I was surprised that they actually upgraded the product for me despite the aggravation. Anyway, it seems to be running fine. Thanks for the input!

ps. I didn't attempt a reformat because I was concerned with the fan failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.