New CPU cooler, PC on and off.

JonathanMarple

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I don't know if this is the right thread, but here's my problem:

I installed the Corsair H80i with two new Enermax Magma fans. Finally, after squeezing the H80i into place, I went to go try it out. My computer started up, quiet like I wanted with my new fans, and I logged on and went to go get some water to drink while I waited for all the start-up applications to run. When I got back in the room, my computer was off. After that, I've tried running it normally, without basic hardware like the mouse and speakers, and finally with nothing plugged in. It lasted to the windows sign to display with everything plugged in, and when only the monitor was plugged in, it said something along the lines of "Starting Automatic Repair," then it shut down. With nothing plugged in it was hard to say how long it lasted but it still turned off in a short amount of time. Putting the heatsink of the H80i on to the CPU was difficult and it took some time to get it set correctly. After running it multiple times, I took the sides off and checked for any loose screws, power cables, etc. I noticed that the heatsink was warm on top, but I don't know if that is a bad sign or not. There was thermal paste pre-applied to the H80i before I set it on the CPU, but some of it might have rubbed off while I was struggling to get it in to place. Do any of you have an idea of what might be wrong with my computer?

JonathanMarple

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I plugged all the fans in the right spots and the heatsink in the CPU fan pin slot so I don't think anything is plugged in wrong. I read in another thread to check the power button, let the computer sit for 5 minutes before booting, and resetting the CPU. I have left it sitting for ~30 mins while I ate dinner and I am about to go try it again, if that doesn't work then I will check the power button; after that I will check out the CPU and the heatsink more in-depth.